Loading technique

Which hand do you use for extracting cartridges (if required) and loading new ones? If you use a cartridge bag I assume you have this on the side of your loading hand...

I've got into the habit of using my right hand to load (and I'm a right handed shooter) because when shooting clays I cover the cartridges to stop the ejectors shooting them over my shoulder. Is this less efficient in the long run and will it get tedious when shooting in the field if I have to load quicker?

Having a stiff gun doesn't help at the moment as a quick flick of the top lever doesn't result in the barrels just dropping open, it requires two hands still.

Thanks!

I'm a right handed shooter and I have always loaded with my left hand when using both double barrels or semi autos.
    Cartridges are either in my left pocket or a bag on the lefthand side for ease of access when speedy loading is required.
    At the end of the day it's whichever you feel more comfortable doing.

I on the other hand load with my right hand from my right pocket. I doubt I'd be any slower or faster the other way round, but the thing that probably set it for me is that my auto has a "quick load" feature where you simply load into the magazine and the first of three ends up in the chamber. For that reason, I don't need to faff with pressing the bolt release button, so holding the gun in the left hand and loading with the right is just easier.
    EDIT: Though now, come to think of it, I did own a SxS once for about 6 months. Only shot it a few times, but that was hold with the right, load with the left, from the left pocket, so for me, it depends on what action the gun has.
    Last edited by neutron619; 03-Sep-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Young Shot
    right handed and load with the left, i only shoot clays so speed loading is not a concern for me.

Right shouldered, load with the left for speed loading in the field with an easy opener Winchester or old Beretta but also....if you put your cartridges in your right pocket it means you have to lift them to mount the gun each time. You don't want to be doing that for too long as it adds to the fatigue. It's also a little slower. If you put the cartridges in your left pocket it helps you swing smoothly as you kind of pivot as you have 60% of your weight on the front foot usually and makes the day less tiring.
    Clay shooting... I catch with my right, pull barrels down with my left on the Beretta which is still a little stiff after 30 years.
    Last edited by ROBERT6500; 08-Feb-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

I forgot to mention that my cartridge pouch or pocket which ever the case may be is very loose and open for easy access.
    Also all of my cartridges are placed in my pouch or left pocket with caps facing forwards. This means they are picked up and put into the gun at speed as you don't have to turn them round to get them in the the gun.
    Try it.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    I forgot to mention that my cartridge pouch or pocket which ever the case may be is very loose and open for easy access.
    Also all of my cartridges are placed in my pouch or left pocket with caps facing forwards. This means they are picked up and put into the gun at speed as you don't have to turn them round to get them in the the gun.
    Try it.
    Nearly 3 1/2 years later you remembered this.
    I've been sat refreshing the page since your last post in 2014

Don't ya just hate getting old ?
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

lol I can stop clicking now