Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA

How long does it take to get a license?

I'm in America, the state of Oklahoma, and I'm just curious on what is the average length of time it takes to get your licenses in the UK? Here in Oklahoma we've no waiting period for guns just the federally mandated "Instant Background Check", so it's generally in and out in a few minutes barring any problem.

The only time I've had to wait was during the processing of my concealed. now concealed/open, carry permit. And most of that was because I have poor fingerprints, which kept getting rejected by Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and that the two persons at the OSBI were over taxed and back logged in doing the checks. The law that permitted the carry permits actually gives a time limit on the length of time the background check can take. Oklahoma is a shall issue state, meaning that the state must show reason why an individual will not be issued a carry permit.

It varies from County to County, but I would guesstimate between 3 to 6 months. A shotgun certificate is usually quicker, but not always.
    Les

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    It varies from County to County, but I would guesstimate between 3 to 6 months. A shotgun certificate is usually quicker, but not always.
    Thanks for the quick answer. Is it any quicker with subsequent guns?

Once you got an SGC shotgun license, you can buy many shotguns you like in theory as long you can secure them and may upgrade to a house alarm or gun room etc if the police force requests it.

Firearms certificate is for rifles etc you need a good reason for each firearms, and possible to be refused a license for requesting too many firearms on a first time "grant" application instead of paying a small fee to add a gun over a period.

Now many precursors and poisonous chemicals are controlled too by licensing but the home office is the issuing department.
    R&D is fun :) BULLSEYE

Lol The government will ban gun slings and holster from the public to prevent criminals from carrying guns...

/>  フ
         |  _  _ l
         /` ミ_xノ
         /      |
        /  ヽ   ノ
        │  | | |
     / ̄|   | | |
     | ( ̄ヽ__ヽ_)__)
     \二 Meow Musky

Beginner
    My son applied recently for an SGC in Cheshire - he's in no hurry but just as well, its been weeks and we have heard nothing, referee has not been contacted but cheque cashed. No doubt we will hear eventually.

I'm in Essex. Took approx. 9 months from the time of handing our applications over at Essex HQ to the home visit.
    Now waiting on the paper part to arrive.

We were told that Essex Police carry out probably the most thorough background checks and other Forces may follow or be told to follow there procedures.

Essex Police website has recently updated stating allow 10 months for first SGC application.

Young Shot
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy1203 View Post
    I'm in Essex. Took approx. 9 months from the time of handing our applications over at Essex HQ to the home visit.
    Now waiting on the paper part to arrive.

We were told that Essex Police carry out probably the most thorough background checks and other Forces may follow or be told to follow there procedures.

Essex Police website has recently updated stating allow 10 months for first SGC application.
    10 months ??????

Sussex was 5 weeks from start to finish on first SGC application.

Beginner
    Hi there, I'm also in Cheshire.. I waited 13 weeks in total. I sent off my form and cheque.. Cheque was cashed in 3-4 days I think, the FEO came round just over a week after I posted my form and then about 12 weeks later my SGC arrived.
    My referee was not contacted at all... I assume this is not unusual.

All the best
    Kris.

Young Shot
    I think Essex are either incompetent or have sacked allot of their FEO's etc. However they have had rather allot of firearm incidents in recent years, so that could be one reason why they are being over the top.

The only checks needed to be done are:

- Police National Computer
    - DVLA
    - Medical
    - Social Media
    - Known associates
    - Interpol

The first two above probably take less than 5 minutes.

Administrator
    Hello all,

We hear about the delay in getting a shotgun licence all the time - you might like to read this post. http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting...ificates-47904

Today we've also written about the top queries we receive about shotgun licensing. Hope this helps! Good luck.