Hottest Technique for Game and Fowl.

I'm constantly being asked for a good tip on shooting Game birds and Fowl out to one side of you and not quite straight over your head.
    So here is "THE" hottest tip there is and the one I use myself.

As the bird appears, make a predetermined point in the sky where you will want to kill it. Then move your leading foot to that exact point and trailing foot a little behind and along side and take it as a crosser, especially if you have an eye dominance issue as it really helps.
    Mount straight onto the bird's breast, none of this "bum, belly, beak" thing you hear so much about. Get onto its chest/breast feathers but not the belly and then smoooooothly edge away along its bottom neck line, out under and slightly away from its beak and BANG! If the gun fits you as it should then 60-70% of the shot pattern will rise up into the bird just above the guns rib killing the bird in head and neck.
    So smooothly edge on....edge away.....BANG!
    This way you will always get the line right as the bird will always fly in the direction its neck is facing...yeah ? "Line" is far more important than lead (leed) believe me as modern chokes are very forgiving about lead but "line" is something most shooters forget. Get the line right and you will shoot 50% more birds right away.
    This technique also helps you with not "stopping the gun" aka not "following through" or "finishing the shot".
    When I go to shoot I adjust my feet to the predetermined kill point and then I just ....edge on...edge away and....BANG! at that predetermined kill point.
    Simples!
    It very rarely fails me or any of my clients so I'm told, so give it a go and let me know how you get on.
    Last edited by ROBERT6500; 15-Jan-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Anyone tried it yet or have you just panicked and swung through again from ten feet behind the bird and still missed it behind ?.....
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

I've had several nice emails already about this technique on how well this is working on partridges this season
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Many more nice messages and emails recently about this technique on ducks as well as pheasants.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Administrator
    Best guns for high birds

It's that time of the season. We were wondering if anybody has any recommendations for particular guns for high birds? What about ammunition?

Hmmm, how high is high though ?
    These days high birds are often stratospheric and way out of actual range but many shooters will pay a fortune to be able to just point up at them, then spray and pray, not knowing they are wasting their money most of the time. In the old days a high bird was about 50 yds or so and perfectly killable with 1/2 choke and 32g of 6s.
    But apart from tight/tighter chokes and a suitable cartridge it will always be up to the person behind the gun. That said, barrel length definitely helps with the highest of birds these days as it makes it far smoother with less gun movement which is always a good thing as less movement means far more control at the muzzles and no need to look at the gun instead of the bird as so many unfortunately do.
    Personally for me I like 32" barrels or at least 30" with a rib I can see well when mounted and at least 3/4 choke. The make and model is largely immaterial as long as it fits well enough.
    Generally I use Hull Imperial cartridges of 30g 5s and have no problems at all with them. For the very highest hittable birds though I occasionally step up to 32g 4s. After that I won't bother as the birds can be brought down but are rarely killed outright. Most actually die from the impact of hitting the ground which I don't like. Many of them are totally inedible as a result as well.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C