pigeon/crow shooting

not been on the forum for some time and just taking a look through some posts and there dont seem to be much bird shooting being posted,
    is it nobodys out shooting or just not bothered posting about it,
    daffodils in winter,,, i dont belive it,,,?

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Here in the States we have a Crow season. It has something to do with Mexico and the Raven/Crow being their national bird. I have not hunted crows in many years, they may well be the most difficult bird to hunt in the states. They are ultra intelligent and hellishly agile.

As for the winged rats, I don't see many of them outside of towns and cities.

never knew there was a closed season for crows in other parts of the world, over here they classed as vermin and theres milions of them and can be shot all year,
    your right in saying their very intelligant. they' ve got the better of me a few times what i found best is find a place were they feeding and set a hide up and put some decoys out usually get on a few then.
    how do you go about shooting them over in the usa

Blimey! A blast from the past......Hello Riz me old mucker.
    I think half the modern problem is that the shooting spots are being taken over by rich syndicates and pigeon guides making it so difficult these days to get out there and shoot. I'm constantly getting messages and emails about it and shooters wondering what they can do about it. The fact is they can't do a thing about it accept pay up if they can afford it but so many just can't.
    I've heard of guides charging 1 a shot, even if you miss.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by rizla View Post
    never knew there was a closed season for crows in other parts of the world, over here they classed as vermin and theres milions of them and can be shot all year,
    your right in saying their very intelligant. they' ve got the better of me a few times what i found best is find a place were they feeding and set a hide up and put some decoys out usually get on a few then.
    how do you go about shooting them over in the usa
    Here in Oklahoma we can use both shotguns or rifle/pistols, but of course you must use caution when shooting regardless of gun type. Seems to me that when I go out with a shotgun the d*mn birds land on fence posts and in trees at 60 yards plus and when out with the rifle they like to fly around me at 20 to 30 yards.
    Best results for me has been using decoys, owl decoys, and playing recorded calls. this will often get them within shotgun range for a shot or two, or three, or four... If one can't set up close to where they place the decoys, my dad taught me to never use more than two and usually one is better yet, crows and owls are bitter enemies and sometimes just the recorded call will bring them in. But I digress, I've used rifles in 22 LR and 22 Hornet for shooting crows that would roost in the trees or on fence lines as they gather to take on the crow(s) when I've had to fire from a distance longer than the scattergun reaches. But like I said, you've really got to pay attention to where that bullet can be traveling if it misses.

yes you need to make sure you have safe back stops when shooting rifles, iv tryed the owl decoy but didnt have much luck with it the crows just seemed to ignore it, my best results come when the farmer ploughs and plants a field i set my hide up and let them come to me, also find lots of crows on a feild that the farmer as been muck spreading on.

hows things rob,
    blimy 1 a shot that outrageous whos gonna pay that, im lucky as the farm i shoot on lets me shoot for free as im helping him out shooting the birds that eat his crops,
    to be honest if i won the lottery i still would not pay to shoot,
    but as you say there are people who cant get shooting permission for free so got no choice but to pay for a days shooting,

*Hat tip*

I'm late to the party I guess, but in answer to the question you put in your first post, I guess we're shooting them but not talking much about it here. Place has been pretty quiet lately, truth be told. Most of the regulars are still about - from time to time at least. I haven't been putting many words up here of late as I've been tied up with more projects than I can manage, but we're getting there.
    I'll be back to gas about my new .410 at some point, but it's a work in progress. The short of it is that it's been out every weekend since I got it, for pattern testing and hunting. After a few weeks, I'm shooting woodies with it at about 1-for-2, which is awesome - except that I've now got used to it and can't hit anything with any of my other guns, as today's 0-for-9 with my 16 bore demonstrated. I wasn't going to shout about that, but if any of them had been within 50 yards... well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Nice to see you back after so long rizla. I appreciated your advice here when I was just starting out, quite a few years ago now.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

yes been a wile mate,
    would like to hear about you pattern testing the 410 love my hushpower cracking gun for mooching about the woods, look forward to reading you post,

You've got a PM.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

yes got it mate. im in work at the moment shall have look tonight
    thanks