Psychological tip.

Don't be so intent on NOT missing the target all the time.

Be totally and utterly intent on absolutely smoking the target.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Don't be so intent on NOT missing the target all the time.

Be totally and utterly intent on absolutely smoking the target.
    I like this suggestion. Too often I worry about missing instead of concentrating on hitting.

Beginner
    I like this too. Thanks Robert 6500 for all the tips & advice; this forum is unfortunately a little quiet nowadays but your tips & advice are really very appreciated by those of us starting out - cheers!

Yeah its often a bit quiet mickster as we are victims of our own success I fear here on Shootinguk. It's largely because everything you ever need to know is already here in the older posts somewhere. You just have to look back a few pages or so.
    Also Shootinguk does not allow arguments or personal insults between members so that saves many, many pages of complete rubbish going out as you can imagine. But that's not to say that we don't like a damned good debate though, it just needs to be done with complete and utter respect for others.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

I quite agree. I don't understand people that come up to a stand, see the birds and then say something along the lines of "that looks difficult" or "I don't like that".

When you do that you're setting yourself up to fail as you'll second guess your instincts. The same will happen if you fixate on other people missing before you too.

At best you end up hitting the first clay and then mentally doing a victory dance ("I HIT IT YAAAAAAY") when you should be shooting the second bird.

Instead prepare yourself by watching the clay, where it comes from and where it's going, and when you get on the stand just relax and trust your instincts.

If you do miss, then don't get angry or frustrated. EVERYONE MISSES. Have a look at the high scores from one of my local shoots last weekend here: http://www.clayandcountry.com/results.htm. Right at the top - George Digweed MBE 98/100. Even he misses, so you're allowed to too.

Finally - I bet when he does miss he doesn't throw a fit, instead he will mentally pack it away and concentrate on the next bird. That's because he knows that you can't un-miss the previous clay, but the next one is entirely up to him to hit or miss, so that's where his concentration is.
    Mediocre C Class Shooter

Caesar Guerini Summit Ltd 30" Sporter

Here's another mental tip........

If having trouble with a target, never react with negative emotion.
    Always react with a plan.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C