Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

32in barrels what's the advantage.

Hi just wondering if there is any advantage to having a 32 in barrel over the other lengths,and would they help swing through.
    Chris

Longer barrels will put the point of balance forward and increase the weight and so should aid the smoothness of swing. The disadvantage is that they'll be that much harder to get going, so if you have a habit of missing behind, you may not find it helps.
    Ballistically it makes no difference - most powder will be burnt by the time the shot column gets 22-24" down the barrel and if we assume that the extra length is an extension, rather than - say - a means of reducing the rate at which the choke constricts - it'll have no appreciable effect on patterns either.
    Bear in mind that I shoot game - mostly rabbits and pigeons at the moment - so these comments come from someone who is not an expert in or regular at clay shooting. There may be other considerations which make longer barrels advantageous in that situation, but all of my guns average 28" with a variation of about an inch either side and I've found that to be no handicap.
    No handicap, that is, in highlighting my deficiencies and lack of shooting skill.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Thanks for you reply.

Chris

Basically they will make long targets easier but close fast targets more difficult.
    As the 32" barrels are a little harder to "get going" your hold point will often need to be 50% of the way across the targets line of trajectory and techniques will be different on some targets than with a 28".
    All in all though once you have mastered them which takes time, the guns becomes much easier to use. However if you go back to another gun in the cabinet like a 28" you will have trouble getting use to that again unless very experience as it will move very quickly indeed in comparison and the amount of lead will seem greater.
    These days experience shooters from all types of shotgun shooting are turning back towards a 30" as you get the best of both as it were. I myself have come back to 30" barrels on all my guns accept a few of my coaching guns of which some are 28 and 32".
    Anyone contemplating on buying a 32" for the first time should always try one out for at least 100 clays before buying. You never know you may take to it right away but on the other hand.......
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Hi
    After a great deal of thought,I decided to stick with 30in barrels,so I treated myself to a DT11 Black Edition Beretta.
    Only put a couple ot hundred cartridges through so far,but well impressed with her.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Very nice gun that Chris. Good choice.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Thanks I thought so to,I'm very pleased with it.

Just one little thing though.
    Don't be alarmed if the black finish starts to come off a little on the face/breech area where the firing pins come through. Its perfectly normal as the metal to metal meeting there is real tight so will naturally wear quickly until it finds its perfect level. Many Beretta owners are being alarmed by this but its all natural wear and the gun should last at least 40 years if looked after and probably more.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Well what a bogger,as long as you can't see when the guns closed,I can't see a problem.

Chris

Exactly! But some do worry.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C