Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why so quiet a Forum ?

I'm regularly being asked why this shooting forum is so quiet at times and in fact very often

The reason for this is that the forum has been going a very long time and is rather well set out. This means that there isn't a lot of chat going on because just about every subject and question that can be asked has been asked and very well answered in the past. It could actually be a victim of its own success in that sense I suppose. But all you have to do is scroll around the forum pages a bit to find what you need to know.
    We also don't allow personal insults or arguments etc on shooting uk though do encourage a good debate if kept respectful. That alone saves an awful lot of time and space on a forum. You only have to look at other forums to see that. It's not welcoming at all and often very intimidating for many new shooters.
    Yes Shooting uk is a rather quiet forum but it's still the world's most friendly and welcoming shooting forum with a mind blowing amount of quality information on it and will hopefully stay that way in the future
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Well - it would be nice to have more to say and talk about Rob, but I think you're right. There is a lot here already.
    I still check back most days to see if I can contribute to anything, but I don't mind the quiet. I do spend some time in the local bear pit and although I don't mind a bit of robust debate, it never really resolves anything. People have their ways of doing things and don't like to be told they're not the best(!).
    I think one issue, perhaps, is that the number of "regulars" has fallen somewhat. A few years ago, there were probably 6-10 of us who posted most days and talked amongst ourselves as much as answering the new visitors' questions. I was one of those new visitors not so long ago, of course. For various reasons, we / they have disappeared off in other directions; the number of hours available in an evening to post here has become fewer; other projects have taken off - I'm now blogging properly, for instance, rather than using this forum to keep a(n informal) diary of my shooting.
    Life gets in the way, in short.
    Perhaps we need to arrange a reunion of the old hands?
    Last edited by neutron619; 17-May-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

What do you blog Neutron?

Aside from the obvious answer of "shooting" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DOTN_Will View Post
    Aside from the obvious answer of "shooting" ;-)
    I've been contributing to a website, as yet only "semi-public", which is being built up around the subject of small bore shooting. I can send you the address via PM if you'd like to take a look, but lots of it is still missing and it's not ready for general public consumption yet.
    Still - I bought a Yildiz .410 SxS in November (I think it was) last year. My contribution, ostensibly, is a blog about my experiences of hunting (successfully, and less successfully) with that and about my search for a genuine 40-yard cartridge to use with it.
    I continue to believe it's possible to get both pattern and penetration to 40yd in a .410 and there is currently one contender in the cartridges we've pattern tested that looks like it might (just) achieve that. There is a lot of stuff working against you with .410 though and the blog also works through some of that to try and build a picture of what helps and what doesn't as far as shotgun performance goes.
    The concepts we consider are broadly general ones, so I hope it might be of interest outside of small bore enthusiasts. That said, .410 has a funny way of surprising you and quite often what you think should work best meets some other factor you hadn't expected to be significant and you end up with the best thing being a mishmash of two competing factors.
    Wads, for instance: you'd expect a long plastic wad to give the best patterns because it protects the shot from scrubbing on the barrel. That remains undesirable, but in such a small tube, the thickness of the wad is significant in terms of choke and can blow patterns if you already have a lot of constriction. I.e. constriction + wad thickness = too much crush at the muzzle. Without doing all the patterning we've done (and published there) we'd never have learnt that. Half-length plastic tend to give the best performance (so far) - scrub half the shot and crush the other half and you end up with more on the pattern plate than doing just one or the other.
    Or choke itself - 0.018" appears to be the magic number and anything around 0.025" or more pretty reliably blows patterns, regardless of cartridge. You can see in the data that the gun's full choke actually performs rather worse than the and chokes - less is more here.
    As you can tell, it's all rather anorakish / technical, but it keeps me off the streets and I hope will prove useful to others in time. Some of the .410 cartridges on the market today are spectactularly bad in terms of performance; others are equally spectacularly good - and generally it's not the ones that are well-liked that shoot best. I'm trying to test them all, eventually.
    All that said, whilst the focus is on .410 (and other small gauges - I'm trying to find a supplier for a 24 gauge at the moment!) I've been veering off at a tangent every now and again to explore and write about other things that interest me, so there's a bit of non-.410 stuff on there too now.
    Let me know if you want a read. I warn you though - I do go on a bit.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

With all respect to the editors, I do believe that the website and the forum could be a bit more lively if it was promoted more heavily in the magazines. Maybe a large number of shooters who read the magazines don't realise how much information there is on this site. As an example, I've just Googled for reviews on four guns - the first four that came into my head. The Browning 725, the Beretta Silver Pigeon, the Remington 1100 Sporter and the Kreigkoff K 80. In every case, reviews on this site headed the list. Then I Googled for "gundog training advice", and again we were top of the list. Perhaps we could promote ourselves a little better?
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

One of the other things that might help would be to upgrade the forum software.
    Unless it's changed recently, I believe it's still the case that the first 5 posts for every user have to be moderated and that we suffer considerably from spamming / "robot" sign-ups.
    It looks as if we're on the penultimate release of the previous version of vBulletin, so we should be up to date-ish, but it's hard to believe that there aren't some features that could be enabled to reduce spam-sign-ups (does it have a captcha or equivalent?) and improvements that can be made to the forum itself.
    I mean - for one, the width of the page isn't really appropriate to modern browsers. I've got almost as much width as the box I'm currently typing in on either side of the box - surely we could use more than 1/3 of the screen for posts?
    How about an end to having to put "." characters on blank lines to separate out paragraphs properly?
    How about making the personal message allowances and attachment allowances more fit for the modern age?
    Disk space is cheap, and having to clear out PM's and ask people to resend their messages because I've received or sent a total of 100 is a pain in the arse for everybody Could we not manage 250, or 1000 as a limit? It's not as if most people use them anyway, so the cost won't be that high.
    Likewise attachments - it's not appropriate to have a limit of 300k (or whatever it currently is) on a photograph when digital cameras manage photos of 4-10Mb as standard now. No, you don't want to store 10,000 of them, but people who aren't capable of using an image editor to resize and compress pictures they want to share simply won't bother.
    Other, competing fora manage to combine decent security and moderation against spam without having to limit quite so much the things which members are allowed to do, which shows it's possible.
    The other question is - how many active moderators do we actually have? Are there loads of "first posts" sitting around for moderation for 3 days, by which point the potential new member has b*ggered off elsewhere and asked on one of the other fora? Is anyone actually turning new members over in a short time frame and letting them get on with it, so to speak?
    Anwyay - there's probably more that can be done, but in short, make it easy for the users and give them the freedom they need not to get frustrated with it and they'll come.

Another thing we could do is to send contributors an email whenever a reply comes in to their posts. I think we used to do that, but then, for no apparent reason, we stopped. One engineering forum to which I contribute does that, and it is a very popular feature. With our website, if you want to stay in touch with replies you have contributed to a discussion you have to remember to re-visit the website and look - and if you're an old codger like me you don't always remember.
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

The last conversation I had with an editor about such things was a while a go now and I was told that this system being used was not as good as it could be so it was changed/upgraded which was better but it meant we also lost the odd handy thing or two that we had originally.
    I have seen advertising in the associated magazines but as much as it use to be if i'm honest.
    As for Admin and Mod's there are several of us though not as many as in the beginning as half the office and the I.T boys were put in as Mod's as well. Most are not around anymore though there are still a few of us that look in most days to check whats going on and let members in if they check out ok. Between us we have it covered quite well. What I would like to see though is the Moderators section back where the admin/Mod's can discuss things in private. That was a massive help to us but for some reason the last editor took it off.
    Personally I would like a chatroom or instant messaging service.
    I must admit though Mike/Adam I do like the ideas you have mentioned.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    The last conversation I had with an editor about such things was a while a go now and I was told that this system being used was not as good as it could be so it was changed/upgraded which was better but it meant we also lost the odd handy thing or two that we had originally.
    I have seen advertising in the associated magazines but as much as it use to be if i'm honest.
    As for Admin and Mod's there are several of us though not as many as in the beginning as half the office and the I.T boys were put in as Mod's as well. Most are not around anymore though there are still a few of us that look in most days to check whats going on and let members in if they check out ok. Between us we have it covered quite well. What I would like to see though is the Moderators section back where the admin/Mod's can discuss things in private. That was a massive help to us but for some reason the last editor took it off.
    Personally I would like a chatroom or instant messaging service.
    I must admit though Mike/Adam I do like the ideas you have mentioned.

Seconded, what does appear to happen is some moderated post seem to go unnoticed unless one does a specific search for moderated posts and threads, as a result a couple of posts are delayed in getting approved.

The forum still does get spammed, with various tricks trying to pass off as genuine new members as well as the run of the mill most unwanted type of posts, not suitable for youngsters.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.