Beginner

Hello from Denmark

Hello from Denmark.

To be more exact the middle of Jutland.

I have been clay shooting for a couple of months now, and that's about it.
    So I'm still trying to get the hang of shooting with a shotgun, and unlearn my 25 plus years of rifle shooting (rifle instructor in the army for more than 20 years). But I do enjoy it tremendously (both the satisfaction of busting the clays, but also the challenge of learning something new).

I don't know if we have a different shooting culture than you guys do, but it is very relaxed at the shooting grounds (people show up in their work clothes go a couple of rounds after work and so on). One thing we have in common though is the banter and sarcastic dark sense of humour.
    We have some claysports that are unique to danish and Nordic countries.

Stumbled upon this forum by chance, and have read a lot in here Many good instructions and recommendations.

Still trying to work my head around the English terms for the different presentations of clays, so there might be some questions/misunderstandings on my part.

Lars

Hello Lars.
    You finally got in then ?.... We were pulling all sorts of strings and pressing all manor of buttons to let in though it took some time.
    I have taught many a military man and a few women for that matter to shoot shotguns but it can be a challenge ,though I challenge I always relish.
    Number one is to brain train yourself to accept that you will miss a lot at first and not be bothered by it as it's normal using the shotgun techniques you will have to use. Once the head has accepted it you have to keep a very open mind and accept that the rifle techniques will very rarely work on clays and that odd time that they do will cause severe inconsistency.
    The thing that rifle shooters find the most difficult is NOT looking at the gun but only focusing on the clay target itself. This is why gun fit is so crucial on shotguns but not so much on rifles as you can make them fit you. Together with finishing the shot or following through which is also difficult for a rifle shooter as you want to aim the gun and keep it dead still when pulling the trigger. Both of course are disastrous when shotgun shooting but they will come if you accept that you will hit more if you DON'T do them.
    Shotgun shooting though doesn't seem to affect someone's rifle shooting on the whole though which is good as I do both....
    Tips for this post........Learn about "hold points" asap. Around 70% of missing is caused by the wrong hold point or wrong hold point for the technique you are using which is also often wrong in the early days as every target lends itself to a "best for that target" technique. And believe it or not "swing through" which most people start with is NOT the best technique to start with as it can cause many problems to a new shooter, especially a rifle shooter. Use "pull away" or as I tend to say "edge on and edge off"..BANG! Or ...."up under it and away to the left/right..... or to a number on the clock face to which the target is going, ie 2 o'clock / 8 o'clock etc.
    There's an awful lot of shooting tips on here that will help, so have a good read and read several times if needed until it sinks in, then get out there and try it.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Hey there Lars:

I welcome you from the State of Confusion which if you are not sure of your American geography, and most Americans fail in this category now, is also known as Oklahoma, we are the pot shaped state that forms the northern border of Texas.
    I have never been that good with a shotgun, this is caused by me having terrible eye-hand coordination, so I only have about a dozen of them. Maybe if our club puts in a Sporting Clays range I would spend more time with the shotguns.
    Ranges, or at least the ranges I have been to, here in the USA tend to run on the casual side with it being much like you described, with shooters coming out to shoot in their work clothes, whether those clothes are coveralls or three piece suits, and the range is most busy on weekends and after normal working hours.
    Of course our club has a Cowboy Action Shooting Chapter and those people, of which I am occasionally one, will be dressed up to look the part of a real, Hollywood, or fantasy westerner.
    Have fun, I hope you "smoke" them clays.
    Gary.

Beginner
    Thank you very much for the welcome.
    Yes there is a lot of good advice on here (which may be why it's quiet).

I have been at this for more than a month now and I find it very exciting. Acquiring new skills. Fortunately my clubs chairman is an gunsmith (+40 years as such). So gunfit and buy was not difficult.

And at the ground I'm getting the hang of it. The first couple of times was frustrating because my rifle background. Then I came to the conclusion to shut down brain activity (don't over think what I'll be doing) and just let the brain and body figure out what to do. And it seems to work. I have written a long post that I'll submit to general topics so you will know how we shoot here in Denmark.

But yes just stare at the target and the brain and body will figure the rest out. And I just stuck in 1/4 and 1/2 chokes and let them stay there. And the shots I shoot with is just the cheap ones that work, I'm still not at the level where that matters.

Lars