What is the maximum ammo limit in the UK

Hi all,
    does anyone know what the maximum amount of ammunition that you are legally allowed to hold?
    This would be for .22lr, .223 and .308.
    I if I'm right is it ok to hold 1000 .22?
    I'm not sure on the other calibres?
    Will be using the higher calibres for stalking and foxing.
    Would be grateful for your input

It depends on which police force you come under, and your shooting circumstances etc. Some people have a limit of less than 500 .22lr, while others can have over 2000. There are no hard and fast rules. If somebody is, say, a County or National level smallbore shooter, they may have 5000+ rounds of .22lr.

The same applies to other calibers. Normally, the higher the caliber, the lower the amount of ammunition, but this again is subject to usage.

Things like .223, .308 etc probably qualify for around 100 - 300 rounds, but again this will depend on usage.
    Les

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    I strive to keep a few hundred to a few thousand rounds around, for every gun I've got.

As 1066 said it varies depending on local force and usage, and shooting habits, but generally once you have filled your ammo table up, is to keep sending it off to the police for a new one which is free. likely they could allow you to have more if requested as it would save them admin work.
    R&D is fun :) BULLSEYE

Lol The government will ban gun slings and holster from the public to prevent criminals from carrying guns...

/>  フ
         |  _  _ l
         /` ミ_xノ
         /      |
        /  ヽ   ノ
        │  | | |
     / ̄|   | | |
     | ( ̄ヽ__ヽ_)__)
     \二 Meow Musky

There's a down side to that, Bullseye, in that if you don't use your full allocation than the police can reduce it at your next renewal - and I've known this to happen. The message is that you should always use up your full allocation.
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

Yeap, same for allocated slots on your FAC if you don't buy the firearm to fill it could be lost when renewing.
    R&D is fun :) BULLSEYE

Lol The government will ban gun slings and holster from the public to prevent criminals from carrying guns...

/>  フ
         |  _  _ l
         /` ミ_xノ
         /      |
        /  ヽ   ノ
        │  | | |
     / ̄|   | | |
     | ( ̄ヽ__ヽ_)__)
     \二 Meow Musky

Thanks fellas, spoke to my FLO in Cleveland, he says 600-800 for 22lr and 300 for 223 & 308. When I get my inspection he says we can discuss this more.

Is it also true that you need to keep a personal record of how much you use or will this be in a data base when you buy the ammunition?

I kept records because I was reloading. They could theoretically track down what you're buying from RFDs in loaded rounds, powder, bullets, etc., but that doesn't actually show whether you've shot 30 rounds in a year or 300. Before I got rid of my rifle I kept a list so that if it ever came to renewal and they said "you've got 300 on your ticket but only bought 40 rounds - why?" I could show them the list. It's not much, but if you've bothered to keep it, that's a start (and shows you're carefully accounting for all ammunition, which gives a good impression).
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.