Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by westernshooting View Post
    Which brings us nicely to the ATA that you mentioned in a different thread.
    If you're thinking of going down the Turkish route, you might take a look at Yildiz's range too. I've got two and I rate them. So do many other folk. They're more affordable (but not necessarily "cheaper") and made with the same materials / process as ATA use - CNC'd alloy receivers, decent Turkish wood, etc.
    Of course, in that price range (500-1000) the second-hand Beretta 68x and Brownings are still king, but if you want something new for a first gun (I did) then Yildiz might be worth a look.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

The ATA is still great value for money if you insist on a new gun but as Adam says you can buy a Yildiz for that money as well.
    Personally though I would go and find a cracking 30" 686/687/682 Beretta for that money as there are some beauties out there for less than 1000 that will out last any of the turkish stuff in all honesty, even if they are 30 years old.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Personally though I would go and find a cracking 30" 686/687/682 Beretta for that money as there are some beauties out there for less than 1000 that will out last any of the turkish stuff in all honesty, even if they are 30 years old.
    Just in case you're in any doubt - I agree with this. If I needed another 12 gauge - and at this point I don't - I'd be looking at models in the list above (or possibly the Browning equivalents as I tend to get on with those better). Yildiz are good value - particularly where small bore guns are concerned - but for a 12 gauge workhorse, you can do better.
    Then again, I do like my Baikals - probably worth 150 for the pair!
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    Just in case you're in any doubt - I agree with this. If I needed another 12 gauge - and at this point I don't - I'd be looking at models in the list above (or possibly the Browning equivalents as I tend to get on with those better).
    Thanks to the both of you for these sensible comments. I have been spending quite a bit of time on www.guntrader.uk recently, so I am aware there is a very healthy second-hand market for these guns.
    What I think perhaps you both may be forgetting is that you have many years of experience in looking at and using guns. ROBERT6500 in particular has probably handled hundreds and may have developed a semi-instinctive feel for whether a gun is good or bad.
    If you have that sort of experience, you're probably not going to go too far wrong selecting a second-hand shotgun from good manufacturer for 1,000 or less. I have no recent experience with guns at all. Quite apart from trying to work out the relative merits of the dozens of models of gun spanning 30 years in the 686/687/682 categories just mentioned, I would also need the eye that tells me whether a particular example of whichever model is a good one or a bad one.
    It's not impossible, of course, but isn't easy. This was brought home to me by a thread about a new Beretta that exhibited faults, and by the many comments in the forums about modern Beretta models not having the quality of guns from 20 years ago.
    In my specific case, there are very few gun shops around here and stock is limited. That's the background to my general preference for a new gun. If it all goes horribly wrong, at least I would have the warranty and the Sale of Goods Act!
    Dan

Well, I am fairly new to this, having only started in Nov last year
    I purchased a second hand Browning 725 Sporter S1 with exceptionally nice wood on it, having previously shot with my mates 725 G5 Hunter. Both with flush removable chokes
    I only shoot clays ( well miss quite a lot of them ) but I am slowly improving. I can now manage about 35/40% each time out. I have been keeping a note of scores/percentage/venue/weather etc. ( a bit OTT BUT I am an Electrical Engineer and it comes second nature)

So last week I thought ,'time for a change', so I tightened up the chokes from 1/4 & 1/2 to 1/2 & 3/4

Admittedly it was very windy and on one stand the clays came from behind overhead , when the wind caught them I could have beaten them to death with the stock....BUT I was rubbish! Probably shot my worst at this site for months

I am going to leave them in for when I go to my usual shoot next Friday and see what happens! But I think I will be swapping them back

There is one bloke, with protruding chokes, swaps them at each stand

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver1 View Post
    I have been keeping a note of scores/percentage/venue/weather etc. ( a bit OTT BUT I am an Electrical Engineer and it comes second nature)
    I bet there's an app for that...?
    Nice to hear from a Browning owner!

Dan

Generally though if you stick to the Beretta/Browning/Miroku stables as it were you won't go far wrong.
    Where are you then if gun shops are rare in the district ? Put it in your profile so it shows on screen, just the county though Dan and someone may be able to help as we have members from just about everywhere.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Generally though if you stick to the Beretta/Browning/Miroku stables as it were you won't go far wrong.
    Where are you then if gun shops are rare in the district ?
    Beautiful north Pembrokeshire!
    Last edited by westernshooting; 17-Jun-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westernshooting View Post
    I bet there's an app for that...?
    Nice to hear from a Browning owner!

Dan
    I bought the gun second hand from Malmo in Lancaster in November last year. It has been resting in my mates cabinet on his ticket until 4 weeks ago when my SGC finally landed. BUT it has been used at least once a week 😃

Diver1....don't tighten your chokes at this stage mate, open them up and you will see your scores rise.
    Put skeet in the bottom barrel and 1/4 in the top barrel and use the barrel selector to change chokes.
    Use the bottom barrel on the closest target and the top barrel on the longer stuff.
    Straight a way it will give you about another 8-10 kills on your score card without actually learning anything new.
    Then look up "hold points" There's a good post or two on here in the coaching section and study it hard as that will give you an even better score. Around 70% of missing is actually down to the wrong hold point.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C