Beginner

Hi from Warwickshire

Hi all,

Just started clay pigeon shooting recently, been taking lessons at a local club and just got my first SGC - closely followed by my first gun, a Browning 525, the same type of gun I'd been shooting at the club during lessons with no real issues. Also reading the reviews on the main site helped cement the idea that this was a decent gun and so far I've not been disappointed.

I've hit a lot and missed a lot but can honestly say the ones I missed are definitely operator error and not banana shaped barrels or anything like that.

I have to say that for a beginner, there is an awful lot of information on this site that has helped enormously in understanding this fantastic new hobby that I'm sure will take up an inordinate amount of my spare time; and I can't wait to get started!

Welcome to the forum Ash, there is a lot of information to take in part of the learning curve. the 525 is a great gun, I have one myself.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Howdy, Ashweb. I've never shot a Browning O/U, my Browning shotguns are a side-by-side and a pair of long recoil A-5s. But I know Browning to be good guns and the 525 gets great reviews here.

Welcome to the forums
    I started with a Browning too - good choice.
    Enjoy your new hobby.
    Adam.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Welcome to Shootinguk.
    Good choice as a first gun as well.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Beginner
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, much appreciated.

Have my next lesson booked for next Saturday (12-08) and can't wait. Is it bad that after the last lesson with my own gun, I enjoyed taking the gun apart and cleaning it almost as much as breaking some clays?

I'm now thinking of insurance and it looks like the best option would be to join CPSA rather than take out private public liability insurance, but unsure whether to go for the full membership or clubman. From what I can see, the only difference is I won't be eligible for competitions as a clubman which I am not interested in ATM as I would embarrass myself with my lack of experience.

If that's the only difference then decision made and I'll join as clubman and upgrade when appropriate, but if anyone has other information then I'd be interested to hear.

When I started shooting I had insurance with SACS, as cheaper than CPSA or BASC, in the end I switched to CPSA clubman as at the time I did not do competitions.

I have switched to CPSA full member last year as I am now doing registered shoots, where you get a classification in which discipline/s of the sport you are doing. I am also doing competitions clays only so not competing for any prize money and also trying to get into the county team. For me at the moment it's the CPSA for me as it covers me and allows me to partake in the other aspects of the sport.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Hi and welcome. Which ground in Warwickshire do you go to? I'm originally from around there.

Hi .... welcome to the Forum!
    Les

Young Shot
    Hi, welcome to shooting uk !