Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is it ?

Go on then I'll be brave, I only started shooting shotguns in May this year prior to that I have shot air rifles (spring not pcp) and air pistols.
    I think for a lot of people looks are important, I know for me they are to a certain extent. Not that I'm in a position to be spending much in the grand scheme of things.
    Before my SGC turned up I was using the schools Yildiz sporter. Now there was nothing wrong with the gun, it broke clays just fine however when It was placed next to a Browning or Beretta it looked, well cheap and yes in comparison for a new gun it is cheap. However it just did nothing for me, in particular the engraving/laser etching was simply horrid a couple of wavy lines and a flying clay.
    I settled on a Browning 525 sporter one 12g 30" with an adjustable stock. So glad I spent the extra money. The engraving while nothing special is a million times nicer and everything just looked and felt better than the yildiz.
    In the 2 and a half months I have had my Browning I have seen my scores go from mid 40s to my personal best of 72 last week which I was over the moon to break the 70 mark.
    I also shot the Browning comp course at OGC in august and managed to come 4th in the novice catagory which I was very pleased with.
    For me it was money well spent I love my Browning and have loved seeing my scores improve.

Im not in any sort of rush to replace my 525 or add another gun to the cabinet, its all the shotgun I need at the moment.

I realise not everyone is as concerned with "function" as I am and I do recognize the value of the confidence boost that shooting a gun you like gives you. I'm glad you've found that spending the extra money was a worthwhile thing.
    I always thought that the Yildiz guns were a trade-off. Machined aluminum is never going to look as nice as hand-engraved steel, that's for sure, though equally certain when I'm trying (and often failing) to hit something with mine - I'm not worrying about what it looks like or whether I look good doing it. That may be a property of generally hunting alone!
    One of the things Yildiz have done though, is recognized (and filled) a niche in the market for affordable small bore guns. Part of the reason we now have (traditionally-speaking) bizzare 12-gauge loads of 21 grams and the like is because people know they neither need, nor want to shoot 32g loads at clays (or anything else, in some cases) but the market wants to sell guns of as few gauges (i.e. 12 gauge, and only 12 gauge) as possible, to minimise machining costs and maximise profit. The cartridge companies have taken up the slack, so to speak and, in 12 gauge, at least, have moved a very long way from the historical average.
    The situation isn't as bad in America as it is over here - the 20 gauge is a lot more popular / widespread over there and I have friends in Minnesota who have asked me in the past exactly why I need "so much gun" for hunting. They're right - I don't - which is why I hardly ever use a 12 gauge any more. Over here, previously you were looking at an old, battered single barrel from the continent or a 3000+ Beretta or Browning from a production run of 10 guns if you wanted a 20 or 28 gauge. Yildiz have done a great thing in providing much more affordable guns in those gauges, whether or not they look "cheap" and are rightly profiting from their increasing popularity.
    So yeah. In all honesty, I probably couldn't match your 72 on clays, but I have learned so much about shooting and how shotguns / cartridges work from studying the small bores (big bore guns tend to "hide" the interesting stuff), which simply wouldn't have happened if I'd had to spend 3000 on a gun to experiment with.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    The situation isn't as bad in America as it is over here - the 20 gauge is a lot more popular / widespread over there .
    I wish you all were not as limited there as you are.

I just like pretty things.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS_1956 View Post
    I wish you all were not as limited there as you are.
    I'm glad you quoted my sentence, otherwise we might have thought you meant we were all a bit thick! Could still be true, of course...
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Young Shot
    I bought a Lanber sporting deluxe with 30" barrels for 850 new, mainly for clays, but also for shooting pigeons from the hide. I also bought a Beretta A300 outlander semi auto for 800 new, just for pigeon shooting. These guns were purchased several years ago, work every time, clean easily,with no reliabilaty issues. I shoot well with both, always with room for improvment !!! I dont feel the need to change either of my guns, nor do I feel the need to add to them. Just my thoughts....... I guess i'm happy with what I have.

Top Gun
    Hi gents been away for a while and to be honest have lost interest but just had to make a comment .on this

1 people come into shooting and are mislead into believing they need all sorts of crap by magazines giving excellent reviews to garner advertising revenue .

2 Manufacturers want to sell more goods so by cumming up with " new improved" models all the time hope that people will be conned into buying the latest model .

3 some people will not accept the fact they will never be able to shoot well and blame every thing except themselves so will buy into any thing they think will help .

4 there is always some nice person at a club who wants to off load the over priced useless stuff he has bought so a newbie is a good punter .

5 to many so called instructors/ coaches tell you what they think you need as thats what they use, not what you actually want .

This may be the cynical rant of the old and jaded but look at it this way ,many millions of birds have been shot with plain ordinary guns such as the Webley 500/600/700 range or the unbeatable Browning B25 , made with out any real change for years and years . Millions of clays were shot with fixed choke , non adjustable O/Us .
    Over my 50 years in the trade I have seen so many things come and go ,that in the end I no longer asked why I just took the money and laughed .
    Gunmaker by trade.
    Gunsmith by choice.

Yeap, seen everyone use expensive U/O and yet someone with a SxS .410 scores 48/50 clays and see people try ambushing the clay too.
    R&D is fun :) BULLSEYE

CPSA Safety officer
    CPSA full member
    Life NRA of America member

Lol The government will ban gun slings and holster from the public to prevent criminals from carrying guns...

/>  フ
         |  _  _ l
         /` ミ_xノ
         /      |
        /  ヽ   ノ
        │  | | |
     / ̄|   | | |
     | ( ̄ヽ__ヽ_)__)
     \二 Meow Musky

Just lately i've had quite a few people saying to me that they had tried an old Miroku or Beretta recently and shot like a blooming hero with it. Then went on to say they wished they had never spent ridiculous amounts of money on expensive new rubbish that they can't hit much at all with. I thought it was a bit strange that so many of them were coming to me and saying that when i've been thinking about the subject intensely recently.
    Entering the Twilight Zone maybe ?
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Birds are just as dead, and clays just as broken, whether they are shot by a Baikal or a Purdey............
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun