Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy on point

Beginner
    Sounds like you've done this before...

I think the main thing is to choose the breed that is most suitable for hunting, I was told that the puppy can be given to a special school for dressing

Beginner
    Naughty pup. I was cleaning up a mess the puppy made and was not paying attention as I should have to the dogs. Turned around and pup was standing there with this in her mouth. She had gone to the neighbors yard and Dug up a mole trap/w mole.She was quite pleased with herself. I was just chagrined.
    Last edited by simcgunner@earthlink.net; 04-Apr-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Beginner
    Xxxxx

Back to basics with puppy. I feel that one of the most important skills a gun dog must have is to be steady to shot and wing (breaking). The pup has so much drive I am having trouble keeping her steady as I get to her and try to go in front of her point to flush the bird. We use the word " whoo"here to freeze the dog as we approach. What techniques do you favor in training/breaking. Is there a drill you use prior to going in the field?
    Last edited by simcgunner@earthlink.net; 12-Mar-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Jammed

Beginner

1st test

Took my 8 month old GSP pup to her first Natural Ability field trial test last week. She was tested in the following abilities 1, use of nose ,2 tracking, 3,desire to hunt 4,co-operation with handler, 5 short retrieve in water. 6 , not be gun shy, As well as having the correct breed traits in the breed standard.She made a perfect score and was awarded a prize 1. The next step is much more difficult. Hopefully by the end of next year She will be ready for testing as a utility dog. There she must be steady to wing and shot, deliver shot birds to hand, blind water retrieves. Duck searches on water. She has great potential if I don't screw her up. My older dog has been a help showing her by example. She has taken on a new job as a certified service dog .This will be my last pup as old age is catching up with me but lord is it enjoyable watching these dogs do what they were bread to do. Scores and the number of birds bagged really are secondary to the enjoyment of spending time together outside.
    Last edited by simcgunner@earthlink.net; 04-Apr-2018 at 05:25 AM.