Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

shotgun moderator

I have a couple of "singles" that don't get much use.
    So
    I've been looking at the hushpower 10" moderator.
    Both guns have no ribs so fitting isn't a problem.

I realise it won't make the "report" under 40db.
    But
    using subsonic loads it should allow shooting near a road without alarming passing motorists.

hedge infested with rabbits is roughly 15 yards from the grass verge and 10 feet below (embankment) the A167.

given the distance (more than 50 feet from the center of the road) I could use a "normal" 12 but I'm a consididarate shooter and 160 for the silincer isn't going to break the bank.(if it works)

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Sounds like a winner to me. The videos I've seen have shown or should that be "sounded" a distinctly reduced report. Of course it looks like they put a half gallon milk carton on the end of the gun, but hey you have trade offs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhX-fGD7tjs

It will make a big difference, but as you say, it's not going to make the gun silent.

Earlier in the year I got a 20 gauge single barrel Baikal Hushpower, the one with the full length moderator. I use standard 20g cartridges as that's what was easily available at the time, but the sound is greatly reduced (think they are Hull High Pheasant so not stupidly fast cartridges). With subsonics it's supposed to sound like a spring air rifle (I'll let you know if I ever find out) but I'd always be concerned about getting clean kills at any distance.

It's certainly another interesting addition to the collection!

What the sound moderator does is to considerably reduce the bang when high-pressure gas is released at the muzzle, but no moderator can do anything about the loud crack caused by shot travelling through the air at supersonic speed. Subsonic ammo is really the way to go.
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    What the sound moderator does is to considerably reduce the bang when high-pressure gas is released at the muzzle, but no moderator can do anything about the loud crack caused by shot travelling through the air at supersonic speed. Subsonic ammo is really the way to go.
    ... and given that subsonic loads are usually of large shot size and relatively "heavy" (for a given gauge, at least), you shouldn't be worried about whether they'll kill or not. Pattern will generally be excellent due to the low velocity and a larger shot size will more than compensate for any loss of kinetic energy in the individual pellets.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

yep .
    I read that you need to step up a size or 2 when using sub sonic loads.

although if a cartridge produces less than 1125 fps I should notice a reduced " report|" regardless of shot size?

Quote Originally Posted by coalman View Post
    yep .
    I read that you need to step up a size or 2 when using sub sonic loads.

although if a cartridge produces less than 1125 fps I should notice a reduced " report|" regardless of shot size?
    Maybe - depends on the ranges. A #6 pellet doing 450fps still possesses around 0.8ftlbs energy, which is the suggested minimum for pigeon and it'll probably be doing that at around 45-50 yards out of a subsonic cartridge. I could calculate the number properly, but it'll take a while to work through it whilst my ballistics software is out of action. I'd avoid #7's and smaller, but otherwise you'll be fine.
    On the other hand, there is an argument that says good loads of #9 shot are a lot more lethal than you'd expect due to regular CNS strikes and given that slowing pellets down tends to tighten patterns substantially, you may have enough pattern density with smaller shot that it makes little to no difference.
    Finally, always remember Edward VII: 36g of #7 at 900fps at the muzzle was perfectly good for driven pheasant. Velocity isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Contacted local RFD.
    Contacted http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/..._Hushpower.htm
    They have them in stock.
    Had a long chat with the chap at saddlery.
    I'll pay the RFD tomorrow and should have it by the weekend
    Best 1 is I intend to fit it on a 10 Baikal
    I'll give an unbiased review once it's been tested.
    Have you seen the price of subsonics
    I need some clay/game loads so i'll get a few boxes @ the 1000+ rate

The moderator was delivered today (to the RFD)
    Fitted it to the "cheapy gun"
    Now need to see how well it works.
    makes the gun very front heavy,although this should help with swing.
    I now need to phone the supplier to see if "porting" the barrel will allow me to move the moderator further back
    and still get the effect they claim.

Nice, I worked out I can have about 200fps from my .28ga air shotgun, I might be looking to moderate it too, as it will have a loud report like the 9mm one due to its compressed air but hoping the 30" barrel would reduce its noise down a little. but did want a 50inch barrel fitted but couldn't find a gunslip to take it. now just to pump it up and start testing patterns out, my No 7 shot has arrived, but really needed No6 but clay & game was out of stock
    R&D is fun :) BULLSEYE

CPSA Safety officer
    CPSA full member
    Life NRA of America member

Lol The government will ban gun slings and holster from the public to prevent criminals from carrying guns...

/>  フ
         |  _  _ l
         /` ミ_xノ
         /      |
        /  ヽ   ノ
        │  | | |
     / ̄|   | | |
     | ( ̄ヽ__ヽ_)__)
     \二 Meow Musky