Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I managed to get myself banned from PW a while back for having the temerity to tell one of the 'moderators' that he was a plonker. They're a touchy lot over there.
    They can be a touchy lot over there, the one time on was on there looked like all the regular contributors got booted off for what ever reasons.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Good to know that you are all still around. All the very best for Christmas and the New Year from me and all at Sporting Gun.
    Happy Christmas and new year Mike and to all members.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Top Gun
    I retired in April 2016 and to be honest I haven't missed going to work once since then .Thought I would be itching to "do a bit " in the shed , but seems I have lost interest in most things gun related . Coupled with the fact there has been little activity on this and other sites that have interested me. I gave up looking and is only recently I have come back having now moved house .

Problem is that most has been said time and time again and it gets boring repeating your self so you leave it to others to comment ,then we all do the same .

Need some really good threads started and not on the boring stuff like which choke is best !

Happy New Year to all who still bother to look !

Graham
    Gunmaker by trade.
    Gunsmith by choice.

Beginner

This is a 20ga which broke in a fall I took last week. Would you recommend a repair or restock.

Young Shot
    Oh dear! That looks painful and it's in a bad place with the bolt going through it. However, have a look at the following which might help:

Repair Methods - The Stockfixrs

If the link doesn't work, do a Google on it.

Top Gun
    Poor quality wood , very short grain across the hand .Should never have been used . You wewe lucky it did not break in use as you could have been hurt .
    Gunmaker by trade.
    Gunsmith by choice.

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    [
    Need some really good threads started and not on the boring stuff like which choke is best !

Happy New Year to all who still bother to look !

Graham[/QUOTE]

Interesting when you mention chokes. Now a days with interchangable choke tubes you can fiddle around until you find what works for you. Bigger deal seems to be which gauge to get, for the turkey and waterfowl hunters the 3 inch 12 magnum still holds the top slot, with the longer 3 1/2 inch gaining ground, of course here in the USA most of our shotguns are repeaters, with most of them being pump guns. Upland guns seem to be swinging in favor of 20 gauge guns over the 12 bore, mostly because the 20 gauge weighs less. The 12 gauge still holds strong with the dove hunting band, but they are not walking around the field hoping to kick a pheasnt or quail. The 28 gauge is getting more popular, but has a distance to go. The .410 bore has its fans but most of the ammunition developement has been in the self-defense catagory.

Rifle wise here in the States the AR platform still runs supreme, although more limited in the available cartridges chambered for them the guns are allowed in most states to be used for game up to and including deer in the 223/5,56 caliber and of course the guns chambered for the 308 Winchester family are good for deer and bigger beasts. Most of out manufacturers are pushing entry priced guns with synthetic stocks and short actions, although both the 30/06 and .270 Win are still getting chambered. Now me, I still prefer wood stocks and steel actions, although I do have a Ruger SR-556 and a Marling Model 60 with the synthectic stock.
    Now in handguns, something I understand you in the UK can't really get access to, we are getting over ridden by the polymer framed striker fired handguns. I don't have one of these "Wunderguns" yet, but you can never say never. The US military has chosen a SIG polyframed striker fired oistol in .45ACP to be our new sidearm, I think the caliber is great, but I sorta wish they'd just gone back to the 1911 series. I do not have military experience so they probably know better than I do. The 40 S&W is in decline, for decades it had been touted as the "be all" in defense and police cartridges but new bullet tech has brought the 9mm back into the holsters of many cops.

Beginner
    It's a shame it only lasted 93 years

Beginner

I will use this fletch to restock it has been air drying since 2003 . I will do a straight stock to my dimensions

Beginner

Before restocking I tried some high tec glue with pins. Blend and touch up checkering if it holds for another 90 years I will be ok with it