SGC, 7 months and waiting!

Hi everyone,
    I applied for my SGC 7 months ago and I have only recently had my home visit, the FEO thinks everything is OK but still couldn't say when I should expect to receive my certificate. You know a cynical person would suggest they deliberately delay the process in order to put people off.

Anyway I don't want to post too much about the subject because I know FEO's read these forums but the home visit was not quite what I was expecting. They didn't take much interest in the house nor did they really ask me any questions and the ones they did should really be on the application form in the first place.

I was a bit miffed though when they said my application may be refused because of a lack of experience, apparently my existing experience with firearms doesn't count because I mostly learnt how to shoot in a foreign country. I do think they make these things up as they go along.

Oh well the hard part is done now and I look forward to joining you all in this great sport.

Ahh the old "lack of experience" line again. Never ceases to amaze me that one. I don't understand how one county will throw that at you and yet others would not dream of it. Again another wrongful interpretation of the law and government guidelines.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

how it one meant to gain experience if you're not allowed to experience something....... what a crock!

Have you had any lessons at all yet ?
    In my experience having lessons with a well known coach in your area or a well know shooting school goes an awfully long way with the firearms boys, especially if you have had several and intend to have more in the near future.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

At the age of 76 I am still confronted with this "experience" and "training" thing at renewal times, and I have held firearms and shotgun certificates since the 1960s. An ancient BASC proficiency certificate seems to work wonders.
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Have you had any lessons at all yet ?
    In my experience having lessons with a well known coach in your area or a well know shooting school goes an awfully long way with the firearms boys, especially if you have had several and intend to have more in the near future.
    Yes I went and got some safety lessons, I didn't learn anything new but it's one less thing they can moan about.

What is ironic is my coach told me he gave tuition to my FEO, turns out he had been doing the job for 4 months and had never held a firearm before, and that was not so long ago!

Yeah, sounds about right that.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

When the feo came to see me last year he asked about experience and I told him I had been doing airsoft for years and although they don't fire live rounds the weapon safety aspect is still the same and that I went shooting with my mates who all held sgc and he was more than happy.