Beginner

Lagotto - any experience of one in the field?

Hi

I'm looking to get a Lagotto in due course. Most reading this will think 'A what?" But check them out - a very interesting Italian water dog that traditionally was used for water-fowling in the northern marshes of Italy.

These days, if worked they seem to be used for truffle hunting. Has anyone any experience of working with or owning a Lagotto and using them in the field? If so, what for - (H)PR? beating? or just a companion around the shoot?

Given their scarcity I'm also keen to know if anyone can recommend a breeder who breeds them for working rather than pets.

Thanks

S

Beginner
    The lagotto looks like a great dog. Smart and amenable to training. I have not seen one or did not recognize it as one I am sure to keep my eyes out in the future. Itís small size and low shedding coat makes it a good choice for a companion/working dog. I would love to see pictures and progress during training. Good luck

Beginner
    Hi simgunner. Due to the lack of breeders it will be a while before I get my hands on a puppy but I'll let you know how it goes. I have found some Lagotto breeders in the US - but it's a bit far to go for me!

Sapper.

Beginner
    There are a few breeders in the US and Canada. If it was my choice I would go to Italy and find one. This breed is a very old breed the foundation of many water dogs. Dogs from a country with few breeders can have health issues. By getting one with good breeding you can only help the breed if you decide to mate her or him. That being said once you bond with a puppy it will not matter if it develops weak hips

Beginner
    Yes I have considered going abroad - well, Europe. I've found some reputable breeders in France and Denmark as an option. There seem to be two competing Lagotto clubs/associations in the UK and I have read that the UK breed pool is quite small - so potential for issues. Italy is a good idea as there may be more availability of dogs from working lines there.