Struggling with trigger pulls.

For the last month or so, I've become very conscious regarding my trigger pulls. It's fine when I'm shooting prone, but when I'm shooting LSR standing up, its becomes a real issue. The problem is that if I try to slowly squeeze the trigger, by the time the shot comes out my sights have shifted position and I'm usually hitting the white. However, I feel that I have a tendency to jerk the trigger if I don't focus on it.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Argyle; 03-Feb-2018 at 04:56 PM.

I think all riflemen go through phases like this. I know I have, with both my rifle and my shotgun. I think the problem of what I've heard called "trigger freeze" is psychological. In my case it went away after a couple of weeks while I was on holiday and unable to shoot. I am sure a good shooting coach will be able to give better advice than I can. Over to you, Robert.....
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    I think all riflemen go through phases like this. I know I have, with both my rifle and my shotgun. I think the problem of what I've heard called "trigger freeze" is psychological. In my case it went away after a couple of weeks while I was on holiday and unable to shoot. I am sure a good shooting coach will be able to give better advice than I can. Over to you, Robert.....
    I feel like I've been going through this phase for a month or so.

My shooting has really deteriorated recently. Used to get 9 or 10 of my shots on the black, now I'm only getting 7 most times, and outright missing on occasion. To be honest, I'm feeling really despondent with it at the moment.

Has your trigger become a little stiffer lately do you think ?
    Is there more trigger slack these days than before and you have to take it up first ?
    Is the gun due a service/clean and check the trigger pulls ?
    Are you putting yourself under any more pressure to shoot well than you were doing ?
    Have you been ill recently ?
    Have you had an eye check recently ?

There could be various reasons for the problem but its best to start with a gun strip and clean.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Has your trigger become a little stiffer lately do you think ?
    Is there more trigger slack these days than before and you have to take it up first ?
    Is the gun due a service/clean and check the trigger pulls ?
    Are you putting yourself under any more pressure to shoot well than you were doing ?
    Have you been ill recently ?
    Have you had an eye check recently ?
    I'm using a club gun, so mechanical issues are beyond me.

Yeah, I'm feeling way more pressure than I used to, and it's probably the main problem. I know it doesn't matter if I hit or miss, but i can't get over that niggling part of my brain that's putting me under pressure. My shooting's become so bad, and I've got so frustrated with it, that I've thought about just packing the whole thing in. It's a shame, because I used to love doing it, but now it's just becoming a source of stress. Was thrilled when I found out I had my FAC interview this Friday, but had such a bad shoot yesterday it's just put a dampener on the whole thing.

Don't let it get to you mate, we all go through downers from time to time, some more than others. It's all part of the learning curve of shooting well, whether rifle or shotgun.
    Don't whatever you do show signs of being on a downer to the FAC interviewer or it'll be a real downer for you in the end as they don't like that sort of thing at all.
    You say it's a club gun, is it the same club gun every time you shoot ? If it is then try using another one instead. If you have to use the same gun then complain about the trigger pulls getting stiff. It can be a problem with club guns as they are used and abused most of the time. Most don't get serviced anywhere near enough either.
    Remember now, shooting is for pleasure first and foremost and it takes years to learn to do really well, so chill and enjoy it and learn from every hit and every miss as its telling you something each time.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Don't let it get to you mate, we all go through downers from time to time, some more than others. It's all part of the learning curve of shooting well, whether rifle or shotgun.
    Don't whatever you do show signs of being on a downer to the FAC interviewer or it'll be a real downer for you in the end as they don't like that sort of thing at all.
    You say it's a club gun, is it the same club gun every time you shoot ? If it is then try using another one instead. If you have to use the same gun then complain about the trigger pulls getting stiff. It can be a problem with club guns as they are used and abused most of the time. Most don't get serviced anywhere near enough either.
    Remember now, shooting is for pleasure first and foremost and it takes years to learn to do really well, so chill and enjoy it and learn from every hit and every miss as its telling you something each time.
    Thanks Robert. Yeah, just gonna smile on Friday and act like all well below deck. I've waited long enough for this, don't want to screw it up because of a down period.

It seems to be something in my general sports pshycology where this kind of thing just happens. I went through the same with boxing and clay pigeon, but in those instances, it was within the first few months of starting. It's weird this has hit me 6-7 months in.

Club gun is an odd situation. There are a couple of Rugers, but they jam constantly (something I'm told to do with the magazines being years old). The other bolt actions are ok, but heavy in comparison to what I'm using, and I always seem to shoot low with them.

I'm trying to just enjoy myself and chill out like I used to do with it, but I just feel like I've been on this downer for so long it's starting to discourage me. I honestly feel like the worst shot there Sunday, and we had people there who haven't even been shooting a month. I feel like that sounds arrogant, but I can't help but feel embarrassed by how poor my shooting is in comparison.

Do you have any decent friends at the club that can let you have a go with their rifles that they shoot well with ?
    If so give it a go and offer to pay for the bullets and a coffee or two and see if its a case of poor club gun maintenance or whether its something you are now doing or indeed not doing now.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C