Thread: Proof marks

Proof marks

I'm trying to find out a bit of information about my Demascus Midland Hammer Gun barrel. Its serial number 24665.

From what i gather, the 2 marks on each barrel with the "X" indicate it was originally proofed between 1896-1904.
    i know that its not suitable for nitro, so can only be used for a black powder cartridge, which i have yet to find a source of.

any information available would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    DSC_3477.JPG
    DSC_3481.JPG
    DSC_3482.JPG
    DSC_3483.JPG
    DSC_3485.JPG

I've had a quick look and it would appear "dating" your gun is going to be as much fun as I had doing the same for a belgian SxS I have.
    In the end with much cross refrencing I determined the gun I have was circa 1938 and nitro proofed.
    I've also had a look for "factory" black powder cartridges and have drawn a blank.
    "just cartridges" used to list BP carts.
    Apparantly gamebore do a yearly run of these cartridges and I can only assume the last batch have all been sold.
    Depending on how much you want to use the gun and what you intend to shoot with it home loading might be the way forward.

the 13/1 and other symbols indicate it was firt proofed in Birmingham.1887-1896.
    London used the 13/1 in 1896-1904although the other markings don't indicate it was proofed there.
    The 2 splodges on the barrels look like the first proof marks (Birmingham)
    http://www.hallowellco.com/british_p...0by%20date.htm

Gamebore used to make black powder cartridges, and someone mentioned to me that they still put through small batches that quickly get snapped up. Might be worth calling them on (01482) 223707 to find out.
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

I read somewhere the price per box is unreal.
    Just reloaded some 28g carts for a friend using BP.
    It is time consuming (weighing/measuring/getting the head space right)
    the grin factor outweighs the time it takes to load your own.

Gents, thank you for taking the time to reply, especially for the link to the proof marks. so more likely 1887-1896 then - wow. i'll ask my local ground if they know of any local small supply of black powder cartridges. whilst i'd be tempted to do my own if i was going to use it a lot, i only intend on firing a couple of test shots for the experience once in a while rather than continued usage, and Mrs stuT4 will not be happy with a big outlay on material and equipment to make my own....