Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young Shot

Airgun, private garden and annoying neighbour.

Hi Guys,

I have been shooting in my parents garden for nearly 20 years, it's around an acre (in the countryside), and has a nice space behind my bungalow that forms an alley.... I have set a target up one end [which catches the pellets nicely ], which is in front of some wooden sheds, I let my parents know when I'm shooting and lock the dog in doors. I have never had a problem from any of my neighbours until recently, when one of my neighbours has started getting narky [do you have a licence for that etc.... it's a BSA airsporter I use most of the time, and it's not in the best of shape, I'm 25 and I have my parents (the landowners) permission to shoot there]. I use my guns, once in a blue moon to zero it in, maybe 50 shots in an afternoon, general plinking if you will I have never fired anywhere other than my target, and it's in my garden, away from a public road with a fence well over six foot between the gardens....

Now am I right in thinking unless I do something stupid (like walk across the garden, and fire it towards his house), theres nothing he can really do???

ATB,
    Tom

Re: Airgun, private garden and annoying neighbour.

Tom

Personally I think your right along as no pellets get to go over his side. I have a similar situation here, the only difference being that my neighbour shoots as well so no problem, in fact we both have permission to use each others orchard.

Your neighbour sounds like he's a guy who might just be frightened rather than mischievous. I think I'd try to go across to his house, maybe when he's washing the car or something mundane so there no pressure, and have a talk with him - why has a he a problem etc,

It might be a good idea to have an informal discussion with your local FA Officer just to clarify the legal situation before you go to see your neighbour.

At the end of the day there's nothing like an annoying neighbour for making your life, and that of your parents, a real misery.

Best of luck.

Young Shot

Thats my understanding. I wouldn't be doing anything differnet to you in the same senario. Just keep it civil when you interact with him, work within the law and your own set boundaries and he doesn't have much of a case to stop you. If he calls the police and they get involved, do the same.
    Tom
    Scotland

Young Shot

Your neighbour sounds like he's a guy who might just be frightened rather than mischievous. I think I'd try to go across to his house, maybe when he's washing the car or something mundane so there no pressure, and have a talk with him - why has a he a problem etc,
    Good idea. I've spoken to a few of the horse riders in my area as they thought my pre charge air riffle was a full bore rifle and were worried about me spooking the horses when out popping rabbits. A lot of the time its just about clearing up misunderstandings and misconceptions.
    Tom
    Scotland

Young Shot

Thanks guys, the bloke is not a nice person, I think he's doing it to be a pain..... his manner is always a bit off...

I'm going to ring my FLO, as I'm due to move my shotguns there soon, and want to make sure they know the address even before the guns get moved, so if he sees me moving them in and rings them they will know the score already? Sound sensible?

I think I'll try and keep out of his way, and shoot when he's out/indoors....

Might still be worthwhile ringing the flo, and asking his advice...

ATB,
    Tom

Veteran

As long as none of your shots leave the boundary of your land you are perfectly within the law to do as you are doing.
    I had a similar problem some time ago with a neighbour,who claimed I was scaring his dog.I tried to reason with him but he's plainly anti-gun,so in the end I told him to visit the police if he wasn't happy.Never had another complaint;he begrudgingly says hello but his wife is very pleasant!

Young Shot

Great thanks.... thought it was like that, but with these fruitcakes your never 100% sure....

Tom

The only concern is noise (pellets striking a metal or solid back stop)

Years ago i used a large steel ammo box filled with layers of carpet off cuts.

eddie is there something going on you want to share with us all?

" but his wife is very pleasant! "

Veteran

Weeeellll.....I wasn't going to say owt,but she did once catch me playing with my bore-snake!

:O eddie!! thats not somthing you should do in public....
    christopher davies