Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Chris;
    Sorry it's taken a while getting back to you, tried them the other day and found them to be as good as Rob raves about. I liked them and barely felt any recoil. However they didn't seem much different to the Hull Pro Fibre 24g despite the obvious difference. The bonus is they are cheaper, the negative is the Comp X seem to be difficult to find in stock around me.
    Rob;
    I was quoted 187 from Greenfields in Salisbury for 1000 of them. Took them ages to get them in as well. I might try their Atom (Made by Eley) as they seem to have them in stock all the time.
    Adam;
    Not really had a chance to look through that stuff, we've been away and then catching up on work when we got back was fun! Definitely seems interesting stuff though so will make the time to understand it.

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTN_Will View Post
    Chris;
    Sorry it's taken a while getting back to you, tried them the other day and found them to be as good as Rob raves about. I liked them and barely felt any recoil. However they didn't seem much different to the Hull Pro Fibre 24g despite the obvious difference. The bonus is they are cheaper, the negative is the Comp X seem to be difficult to find in stock around me.
    Rob;
    I was quoted 187 from Greenfields in Salisbury for 1000 of them. Took them ages to get them in as well. I might try their Atom (Made by Eley) as they seem to have them in stock all the time.
    Adam;
    Not really had a chance to look through that stuff, we've been away and then catching up on work when we got back was fun! Definitely seems interesting stuff though so will make the time to understand it.

Thanks for the update much appreciated, the only place local to me is Botley gun shop they sell them both in plastic wad and fibre, found out last weekend the club I belong to use plastic.
    Price from memory I think was more or less the same as you paid. Cheers Chris

Beginner
    Sorry for the daft question which load should I go for the 7.5 shot size or the 9 shot?Also apart from the size what difference does it make? We can use plastic wad at the club so that bits easy! Planning to get some Wednesday this week for this Saturday's 50 sporting thanks in advance Chris

9 shot is virtually only used in skeet or where the clays are in close proximity to you, 7 1/5 shot is generally used for all aspects of sporting targets, and DTL, ABT etc. The 9 shot will loose the clay breaking ability on other than close targets, 7 1/2 carry the momentum better as they are a heavier shot to break clays at all distances.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Yeah, stick to 7 1/2's as it will kill most clays and if you can't hit it and break it with them then the chance of hitting it and breaking it with 9s are slim to the extreme as the shot is smaller.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Beginner
    Thanks Beretta SV1 and Robert, picked up 250 yesterday 7 1/2 shot fibre wad ( cost 57 ) couldn't get plastic wad but can use both at my club, some of the other clubs, local to me, don't like plastic so these could be more versatile at other grounds, will post update after using some up this weekend cheers Chris

Beginner
    Just got back from trying the Hull comp X cartridges as everyone has said very low recoil hardly felt a thing, after 50 sporting felt as I could have done another 50! Thank you for the recommendation everyone, will stick with these for the time being.
    My scores haven't improved, least I don't have to worry about it hurting anymore, perhaps I can concentrate on hitting more clays now! I really enjoy sporting 50 had a really good time. Cheers Chris

Stick with them Chris, don't let anyone tell you that you need a bigger, better cartridge than the 21g, as for many years that cartridge will be far better than you or I for that matter. I know many club shooters that use them and get great scores with them. But every now and again someone will say that they don't think the cartridge is man enough for that target out on say...stand 5. So we go back out and have another go at it, only to find that usually all it is is the wrong hold point of the muzzles when calling Pull!...or the wrong technique for that particular target. Now and again it needed a bit more choke as was edge-on and 50 yds plus. But get all that right and it will do the job.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT6500 View Post
    Stick with them Chris, don't let anyone tell you that you need a bigger, better cartridge than the 21g, as for many years that cartridge will be far better than you or I for that matter. I know many club shooters that use them and get great scores with them. But every now and again someone will say that they don't think the cartridge is man enough for that target out on say...stand 5. So we go back out and have another go at it, only to find that usually all it is is the wrong hold point of the muzzles when calling Pull!...or the wrong technique for that particular target. Now and again it needed a bit more choke as was edge-on and 50 yds plus. But get all that right and it will do the job.
    Thanks Robert will do as you say, meant to add to my post I did notice the bores in the barrels seemed a lot cleaner using fibre wad, but it seemed to me and it was mention by fellow shooters as well a few were ( less than 8 ) cartridges were dirty/confetti etc? Cheers Chris

Yeah it's a slight problem with fibre wad cartridges and particularly the budget priced ones is the occasional confetti.
    But it means very little really in performance but can take your mind off the next target on a report pair but its the same which ever brand you use i'm afraid.
    However what will usually help to keep the confetti to a minimum and performance up on the cartridge is to keep them warm the whole time you have them. I always have my next slab of cartridges that i'm going to use in a warm airing cupboard or under a radiator etc. Then when I drive to a shoot I will have them on the floor under the heater but not too hot of course. The car temp is set at 25-28 degrees in the winter. At the shoot I often try and keep them in a thick coat pocket or a decent bag etc but only take out what I need. I will even go and pay and then grab 50 and go and do half a 100 bird shoot and then grab another 50 and do the other 50. That way the cartridges will be at there best or as good as they can be.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C