Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best pellets for shooting Rats and Pigeons

What would you suggest as the best pellets for shooting rats and pigeons. Could you use the same pellets, to save carrying two different types or not?

Kind regards

Mousa

Re: Best pellets for shooting Rats and Pigeons

any of the 'wadcutter' patterns (flat-headed) are good for both rats and pigeons for sub-12ft lbs at ranges up to 20yds. I have found that they tend to be a bit variable in their flight paths after 20yds, but I normally try to deal with rats and ferals at sub-20yds anyway. You may need to try a couple of types to find the best ones suited to your rifle. Its quite surprising just how 'different' pellets can be.

Hi I am new to this site so hello and this is my first post. In your opinion do air guns tend to fall into the wrong hands sometimes, I know of somebody who keeps having his windows shot at and before long somebody could be badly injured.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum!

Bit of an odd question really. It's a bit like asking 'is it possible a bad person can sometimes key a car?'.

Anyone of the right age can buy an air gun, and most people have the capacity to be a dickhead.

Airgun or not, if someone's inclined to break a window they're gonna do it with a rock, a bottle or whatever else they have.
    Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon
    Beretta ES-100
    Remington 700 VLS .223
    CZ 452 .22LR
    B.A.S.C.
    Wiltshire

Young Shot

Hi I am new to this site so hello and this is my first post. In your opinion do air guns tend to fall into the wrong hands sometimes, I know of somebody who keeps having his windows shot at and before long somebody could be badly injured.
    In my experience I've never known anyone to miss use their air gun. So no they don't tend to fall into the wrong hands. I'm more concerned with alcohol falling into the wrong hands and the potential damage and injury caused by these people being free to purchase and consume vast quantities of it. I live in the central belt of Scotland where cheap fortified wine in a green glass bottle tends to fall into the wrong hands causing far more injury and damage then any air rifle could.
    Tom
    Scotland

But you do hear of people losing an eye through someone messing about and I remember a case many years ago when someone shot a teenager in the neck with one of those rifles that they have at fairs and usually shoot at coconuts.It happened at the fair and he did'nt mean to harm him and was fooling around but that lad was paralysed from the neck down, he will be in his forties now and I wonder how he has coped with life while the lad who did it has got on with his own life and probably does not even care that he destoyed another persons life.

Young Shot

No, I don't hear of anyone losing an eye or being hurt fooling around with an airrifle so can't comment on hearsay or unverified statements.

I have heard of more deaths on mechanical rides at fairs though and wonder if the operators think about the lives there lack of maintenance has changed.

I also wonder if the folks at Buckfast Abbey spare a thought for the thousands of lives they destroy and change through creating a fortified wine and refusing to sell it in a plastic bottle. The one thing worse than dog poo in a park is broken glass. I know of multiple people scarred for life from Buckfast bottles.
    Case by case, no pun intended, Buckfast causes more harm and social problems than air rifles ever will.
    Tom
    Scotland

Young Shot

Anyway original post successfully high jacked.

I use bisely pest and bisley field to great effect. I've not tried them on rats but the feral pigeons and squirrels seem to drop quite nicely.
    Tom
    Scotland

Veteran

Welcome coxian28....think you may be on the wrong forum!

Veteran

We're talking Woodpigeons coxian28,which are a recognised pest species....I don't know of any shooters who would knowingly shoot a racing or carrier pigon.