Hybrid View

What type of wall can I attach a gun cabinet to?

My other half has decided to go shooting with his friends so we are applying for a gun licence. I have bought him a gun safe for xmas ( yes i am an amazing wife !! ) but we are having some debate about what type of wall we can attach it to. We live in a semi detached house and basically need to know if it has to be attached to one of our external walls or we we can attach it to the wall between us and our neighbour as we assume this is a brick wall. Any advise would be greatly appreciated as now b & q are open we are off for some bolts !! Oh the joys

Veteran

Re: What type of wall can I attach a gun cabinet to?

Hi hutch1l,welcome to the forum.I t would be ideal if you could fix it to a solid wall,but if you can't for whatever reason(like an eyesore in your living room for example)then ant wall will do.The whole idea is to prevent a would be burglar from being able to crowbar it away from the wall.Stud partition walls can still take some very large loads,especially with modern fixings and chemical fixing,but it would be preferable to find a stud you can get a definite fix on,top and bottom.You can find a stud by measuring either 600mm or 400mm from a corner,as plaster board is fixed on 600 or 400 centres.You may have to cut a piece from your skirting board the same width as the cabinet to ensure it fits flush to the wall.
    Have just read my post throughand realised the 'definite fix' may be confusing.I should have stated you will only be able to fix ONE SIDE of the cabinet to a stud,unless you find another stud inline with the fixings on the other side of the cabinet!
    This may seem confusing,but will all become clear when you start to fix it.Of course,you wont have any of these problems if you fix to a solid wall!If you struggle,let us know.Good luck.

Before you go drilling anything wait for your firearms licensing officer to inspect the property for security, and consult him. If you put the safe in a place he doesn't like, then you'll have to move it.
    Mediocre C Class Shooter

Caesar Guerini Summit Ltd 30" Sporter

Thanks very much for that, I thought it had to be attached before he came. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if they can come out and give us some advice.

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd ask my question in this thread as it's relevant, rather than start a new one.

I'm just about to get my first cabinet and was confused as to what walls I could bolt it to. I've read that it has to be to a solid wall and I've also read that it's ok to have it just bolted to the floor alone.

I'd like to put my cabinet in the back of my wardrobe in my bedroom, there is no solid wall in the wardrobe for it to be bolted to. I'm in a new house so all the internal walls are plasterboard.

Would it be ok to have the cabinet in the wardrobe, bolted to the floor and to 2 plasterboard walls? What's the best way for fixing cabinets to plasterboard walls?

Thanks for any advice.

The intent is that it should be secured so that it can't be pulled away by hand or with a crowbar/pry.

If you put it in the wardrobe, will it be fixed to a solid floor, or just the wardrobe? Also, see above - you can fix to plasterboard, you just need to find the studs.
    Mediocre C Class Shooter

Caesar Guerini Summit Ltd 30" Sporter

^ agreed you have the back of the gun cabinet bolted a sold wall! or Fastening to timber studded walls should be avoided, unless some additional anchorage can be
    provided e.g Floor or roof joists

you can also "google" "firearm handbook security 2005" this is Produced by the Home Office, the Associations of Chief Police Officers in England!

But security is judge in every circumstances e.g mobile home or outhouse ect

Other considerations might be:
    Final exit doors of good construction secured with good quality locks and/or other
    types of deadlocking facilities;
    Suitable locks/securing devices on ground floor windows and French/patio windows

Joist ends are a more suitable
    fixing location than joist runs. In a loft installation for a cabinet, care needs to be exercised. Not
    all lofts have joists calculated to include weight loading other than that of the ceiling below. It is
    not uncommon for joists in lofts to be 40% smaller in cross sections than joists carrying floors.
    Full use must therefore be made of the support from structural walls carrying such joists. If there
    is any doubt, the applicant/certificate holder should obtain proper structural advice!

in buildings with only partition internal walls and modern
    insulation block lining or random stone walls,it can be perfectly acceptable to fix cabinets
    horizontally, as long as appropriate fixing devices are used. This will also assist when fastening
    into suspended wooden flooring, as it spreads the load more evenly. In this case, coach screws of
    at least 3/8" (8mm) diameter and not less than 2.5" (63mm) long will provide a suitable
    anchorage. Such fixings must of course be made into joists and not simply to the floor boarding.
    Another consideration should be the size and weight of the larger form of gun cabinet or
    commercial safe. Due to their very weight or size, fixing may be unnecessary in these cases, but
    they should be located in such a position that would further frustrate removal

And if you house has a concrete floor but no masonry walls? some license holds have the back of the cabinet on the floor fix to the floor with rawl bolts,and in a corner plus the locking side is towards the wall to make it hard to force open!!

Mobile Homes & Static Caravan Units
    2.25 The unit should be site fixed or any wheels and towing assemblies removed or disabled to
    prevent its immediate removal.
    2.26 Where there is doubt about the fixture, supplementary anchorage with industrial ground
    anchors, locking plates or security chains should be used.
    2.27 The area between the ground level and underside should either be enclosed with secure
    cladding, or the area giving access to that part of the chassis securing the cabinet should be
    protected to prevent unauthorised access to that area.
    2.28 A cabinet to BS7558 or better, or a commercial safe should be used in dwellings of this
    type. Ideally (because of the construction of some mobile homes) cabinets of heavier
    construction may be warranted or a dual layer system to protect the area of installation. When
    considering installing heavier cabinets or safes the load bearing capacity of these structures must
    be considered.
    2.29 The cabinet should be located in a position making attack on it difficult.
    2.30 The cabinet should be concealed in an area which is not easily/normally accessed (eg inside
    fitted lockers).
    2.31 The cabinet should have the maximum number of its anchorage points attached to the
    chassis of the unit. The blind heads of any fixings should be outside, with the threaded nut within
    the cabinet. It may be prudent to have the fixing points welded to the chassis.
    2.32 Alloy chassis require special consideration. If the structure is in doubt the provision of
    bearing plates not less than 4mm thick and large enough to span several adjoining chassis
    members can be fitted. Alternatively, the below method can be utilised.
    2.33 Where the chassis is not substantial, a concrete pad containing securing bolts to attach to
    the security device should be made underneath the unit.
    2.34 Industrial ground anchors can also be adapted for this purpose. These should have a
    protective enclosure to frustrate access from outside (see paragraph 2.27).
    2.35 An intruder alarm should be considered the primary method of adding security to such
    premises.

And when installing a gun cabinet to a wall it's recommned to install it in a corner and out of view from a window ECT,locking side in a left coner if the locking side on the left (normally are) to restrict the chance of forcing it open! Remove the two sections of skirting board fix the cabinet then cut the skerting board to size and fix it back in place! It's known for people to install a gun cabinet above the the skirting board and this leave a 5 inch gap off the floor!! and thivies have been known to use a 1.5 tonne scissor jack under it and jack the cabinet half off the wall!!! and then carry it out of your house

Gun Enclosure
    23. The adaptation of an existing enclosure within the fabric of a building which may be
    considered to be suitable for the security of the firearms, shotguns and ammunition where:
    a) the enclosure is not to be formed by any walls being of timber and/or plasterboard
    construction (studded wall) unless the area has been rendered secure unless the area has been rendered
    secure by:
    a) the fitting of expanded metal mesh, not less that 4mm (8swg) or not greater than
    30mm by 50mm section, secured to the studding at not more than 300mm centres by
    suitable screw fastenings; and
    b) if the wall may be subject to sustained attack, consideration should be given to tying
    the mesh to adjoining walls, floor and ceiling, or mounting in a frame secured to these
    i) a security class, laminated or solid timber core door of not less than 44mm
    thickness; or
    ii) a timber door lined with sheet steel not less than 16swg, the sheet to be folded
    round the locking edge of the door and secured to the door structure with nonreturn
    screws or dome head bolts if externally lined, or steel screws if internally
    lined. The fixings to be not more than 125mm apart. (See illustration 4 &
    illustration 4a).
    24. Hung on good quality hinges. A minimum of two in the case of half height and three if a full
    height door is fitted.
    25. If the door is outward opening, hinge bolts must be fitted sufficient to retain the door in the
    event of an attack on the exposed hinge pins.
    26. To be secured by:
    a) two mortice locks to at least BS3621 or its equivalent;
    b) two locks from the HELA Tech doc 26/5;
    c) driven bolt/multi point locking system, either key or lever operated, providing:
    i) three bolts operating equally along the opening edge or opening edge, top and
    bottom;
    ii) the bolts to provide resistance equal to that in BS3621;
    iii) lever driven system to be secured by a lock to BS3621 or equivalent (see
    illustration 5 & illustration 6).
    27. Long plate lock boxes, or a 1.6mm (16swg) thick bolt protection strip to be fitted to the
    frame on the opening side.
    28. If the ceiling of the enclosure is accessible from a vulnerable area, eg a loft, its security
    should be enhanced by the fitting of an expanded metal mesh, not less than 4mm (8swg) or
    equivalent. The mesh/grill section size to prevent any of the contents being removed. Secured to
    the walls of the enclosure or if an alarm is fitted, protected by a device for detecting an attack on
    the mesh.

this even tells you how to build an Armoury Building!!! I think it over the top for section 1 & section 2 for sporting or clayshooting for civilians! this might be for gun factorys ect or big collecton of section 5 stuff .

Well I think that might cover most circumstances this may seem alot of info but this is small amount!!

If you still confused speak to you local firearm department.

BULLSEYE
    If you can't buy one, nor import one, then your only option is to manufacturer one! :) BULLSEYE

Lol The government will ban gun slings and holster from the public to prevent criminals from carrying guns...

:)
    ())
    (**)
    (")(")

Ah!.....problem solved then.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C