Thread: Car Accident?

Question Car Accident?

Whilst driving to the clay range the other day with shotgun and 200 carts in the boot I began to think to myself what would happen if I was in an accident whilst carrying this stuff? If I needed to be hospitalised would my gun come with me in the ambulance? Would the p[olice remove it from the scene? If the general public (who I hope have stopped to help me) notice that I have a gun in my possesion would they call for an ambulance or the armed response? What would be the repurcussions if someone without a license stole my gun from the wreckage?
    Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated. I genuinely haven't got a clue about this and that slightly worries me!
    NOBs
    BASC
    Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon

You would hope the police would attend and take the gun and ammo into safe custody providing you with a receipt to collect the guns once you recover. That custody could be a local gun smith for example, I know I would not complain about paying a few pound as long as my gun is safe and I can easily get it back.

When I moved up to Scotland from Plymouth the removals company provided could not take my guns or ammunition as you would expect to be honest but they also couldn't take and flammable's. I ended up with around 1000 cartridges, 2 shotguns a barbecue gas bottle, and several bottles of car maintenance style liquids. Imagine if I had crashed or been stopped by the police. EHHHH I can explain officer.
    Time flies when drinkin RUM
    Browning 425 sporter
    Arms History:- BSA Meteor, Webley, 410 folding s/s, Baikal S/S, Lanber O/U, .22 BSA Tgt rifle, .303 Tgt rifle, 5.56 rifle, GPMG, Phalanx, 4.5" Gun,

Quote Originally Posted by Burma View Post
    Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated. I genuinely haven't got a clue about this and that slightly worries me!
    I thought about this too about a year ago if you car was recovered and a bunch of idiots at the recovery dep start playing with the shotgun when your in the hospital bed etc, what about riding a motorcycle, yes its legal but I wonder how many times you be stop by the police whats in the case "sunny"! before you at the clay shooting grounds?

Some people have install a gun cab in the boot, but again I've heard stories you can carry a shotgun not in its case if its two bits? I wonder how far before the police will be phoned!

But again I wonder if theres any clay shooting in the outback, and a local shooter half a mile from the grounds take a shotgun down the road in no case from their house half dressed ? and the police officer is like PC Ball from "the boys in blue" knows them," so hes licensed sir"!
    Last edited by BULLSEYE; 15-Feb-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    If you can't buy one, nor import one, then your only option is to manufacturer one! :) BULLSEYE

Paragliding training soon! :D :) lets hope the weather holds!

:)
    ())
    (**)
    (")(")

If you are injured in a RTI (Road traffic incident because accidents don't happen they are caused) The police HAVE to attend and will be notified by the 999 dispatcher. They will then take the firearms into safe keeping. Interesting to know if they check vehicles for firearms if you are incapable of informing them what is in the car.

They would not be taken to an RFD but the armoury, and not much chance of getting them back in the same condition as when they took them.

Interesting! I have ben injured in an RTI in the past (I did not have my gun with me at the time) but I broke my neck dislocated my shoulder and broke a thumb and the police did not attend the accident at all. My friend managed to drive the car to my house as it wasn't far I was taken to hospital and the other party drove away.
    Time flies when drinkin RUM
    Browning 425 sporter
    Arms History:- BSA Meteor, Webley, 410 folding s/s, Baikal S/S, Lanber O/U, .22 BSA Tgt rifle, .303 Tgt rifle, 5.56 rifle, GPMG, Phalanx, 4.5" Gun,

Quote Originally Posted by bluetdi View Post
    They would not be taken to an RFD but the armoury, and not much chance of getting them back in the same condition as when they took them.
    That very true!!! I know one member at are club, was fully legal shooting vermin in combat gear shooting a GSG .22lr MP5 and firearm police arrested him and his gun had more scratches then a DVD handled by a 4 year old! when he got it back
    If you can't buy one, nor import one, then your only option is to manufacturer one! :) BULLSEYE

Paragliding training soon! :D :) lets hope the weather holds!

:)
    ())
    (**)
    (")(")

Young Shot
    Herefordshire / Worcestershire / Gloucestershire borders
    In these sort of extraordianry circumstances the most that you can realistically be expected to do is to have your gun in a case so it's not strewn across the road and immediately visible and to have any ammo in a separate bag, zipped up so cartridges / bullets aren't scattered everywhere.
    When I am travelling any distance I generally dismantle a shotgun and put it in a combination locked case. Okay, not exactly high security but better than nowt.
    To be honest if I had a smash that resulted in me being rendered incapable of securing my gun / being taken away in an ambulance then the temporary security of the gun would probably be a little way down my list of concerns at that particular point in time!