Thread: Advice please

Beginner

Advice please

Complete newbie to pigeon shooting only shot clays really!

our workshop is surrounded by farm land and I estimate there to be pushing somewhere between 200 and 400 wood pigeon circling our yard ALL day long currently feeding off wheat that is sprouting through. we have just about an acre of grass at the top of our yard

Could I decoy that or would I need to get on the wheat?

Also they flock like mad so would imagine even if you got them in close you could only nab a few as they would all just scarper!

Haven't asked next door land owner yet as want to get some ideas first, well before I spend all day and don't manage to shoot a sausage!!!!

also would like to do it on the cheap so could I get away with just using decoy shells and not flappers/ spinners?

Young Shot
    Herefordshire / Worcestershire / Gloucestershire borders
    Not sure about whether the decoying would be viable but one thing I would say is be careful if you decide to go ahead and decoy on your grass.
    1 acre is not much and it would be very very easy for your shot to end up on the neighbouring field (in fact I'd say it's almost certain to happen). Unfortunately, if you don't have the field owners permission to shoot (even though you're not actually standing on his land) this is called constructive trespass and could land you in trouble with the long arm of the law.
    Bottom line - talk nicely to the guy and you might have a cracking place to shoot just a stones throw from your workshop.

an alternative would also be to set up a hide and shoot them with an air rifle...then there would be no problem
    Eat, drink, shoot & be happy!!! (obviously not at the same time!)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking Chris.
    I've had a few good days in the hide with an air rifle over the years.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Shootinguk.co.uk Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire.
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Coaches for Abbey Burton.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.

Hi Christoff, I am completely new to this shooting, but with regards to the post before yours regarding only 1 acre not being that large and likely to shoot beyond this, would a rifle not be more dangerous, I am only asking as I have a 12 bore o/u and have just purchased a BSA R10 and cannot wait to get out there with it, but like the guy am a little worried as to where to shoot etc.
    Kind regards
    Ray

Young Shot
    I would ask the farmer - he can always say "no" but he may say "yes". Nothing to loose.
    You could pop out at break times and give them a fright - he might be very pleased!
    John
    [url="http://www.swsg.co.uk"]www.swsg.co.uk[/url]

a rifle yes, but an air rifle no. If you are shooting at one end of the field at pigeon on the deck with a legal (i.e. not over 12lb psi) then I dont see any problems. Obviously if you are in the middle of the field and the outskirts are les sthan a safe distance away then I would say forget it.
    Last edited by Christoff; 11-May-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: I am a muppet & cant spell!
    Eat, drink, shoot & be happy!!! (obviously not at the same time!)