Prescription shooting glasses

Hi folks,
    as you can see, I'm newbie to the forum as well as to shooting, although I had a few goes with an old hammer gun as a youngster on the farm. From what I've seen so far, you all seem a friendly bunch.
    I have my certificate, came through last week. Gun cabinet is in of course. Just trying to make sure my first gun "fits". My local gun shop has much patience!
    I purchased Top Gun shooting glasses with the demountable prescription lens holder and took them to my local Boots opticians who were prepared to mount lenses for me as part of a 2 for 1 deal they were doing. When my ordinary glasses were ready, they said they couldn't fit the lenses as the shooting glasses didn't have dummy lenses for them to trace., they say they needed these to shape the lenses as the lens carrier was too flexible. I have found a lab who will do the job, with help from Top Gun , who say they have never had this problem before.
    Has anyone had this experience before, especially from Boots? I was told that there might possibly be a problem in tracing the shape from the lens carrier, but Boots went ahead and made the lenses before checking if they could fit them.
    Many thanks,
    Ian.

Young Shot
    I've not used those topgun glasses but I have used this company for sports glasses. I was unable to find curved lense prescription sun glasses from the high street and these guys offer those. I have the skiing type "oklay clones." I see they do shooting glasses as well.
    They offer far better protection to normal frames with tinted lenses in.
    Tom
    Scotland

Hi Tom,
    I'm quite happy with the Top Gun glasses but for the messing around I've had from Boots. I have to say the guys at Top Gun were really helpful and directed me to a lab who couldn't see a problem in fitting the lenses and for a lot less.
    Ian

Young Shot
    just noticed that the topgun glasses your talking about are on that site. sorry.
    Tom
    Scotland

My local lab has no problems with tracing the inserts, they have a machine that can trace around the insert with out the need of a lens or dummy lens.
    They are also a lot cheaper than most of the other opticians , also had great c/s from top gun as well.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Latest situation is that Boots have now told me that they were prepared to send the lenses to the lab suggested by Top Gun, L G Optical Ltd of St Leonards on Sea and they will carry the cost, not what they said originally. I don't think I'll use Boots again as I'm also having a problem with my ordinary glasses.
    Being a "Newbie", I'm really interested in anyone's views on my possible choice of gun. I seem to be constantly drawn to Bettinsoli, as I feel more comfortable buying new and they seem to be good value for money. I was thinking of their Diamond Line Sporter or their new Commander. Any views drawn from experience would be most welcome.
    Ian.

Ian, I am going to show my bias here, I looked at the Betty when I first started shooting, then when I compared it to the Beretta's, Browning's and Miroku's the Betty was put to one side. They are a lovely looking gun but after speaking to several people the opinion was to go for Beretta, Browning, Miroku if they are in your budget range.
    Another gun that gets recomended is the Lanber sporting delux although I have no experiance of this gun.
    Wih the 3 I mentiontion if you ever need spares they should always be availiable.
    Don't buy a gun for its looks, take some one who knows about guns with you and ask around which guns shops are recomended in your area. Gun fit should be the important factor though. Beretta's will fit differently than the Browning and Miroku's as the cast on them is slightly different.
    Regards second hand guns, don't be afraid of buying secound hand there are some excellent as new guns out there and some exceleent older guns. I have picked up a couple that were as new and hardly been used. This is whare a good gun shop comes in as they will be honest about the guns history, some time this is known as they could have sold the gun origionally and known its use, as with 3 of the guns I bought and sold.
    Also buying a good second hand gun you are not paying the 20% vat on a new gun which is dead and lost money, take your time looking and trying. I have bought both new and second hand and you would be been hard pushed to say which were bought second hand and which were bought new.
    The shop should also advise on its condition and fit, rather than just handing you the first gun in the rack and saying to you this one will suit you, if they did this it could be a gun they just can't shift for some reason.
    Last edited by BerettaSV10; 22-Jan-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

A tidy second hand Beretta / Browning / Miroku / Lanber will be a far better buy than the Bettinsoli.
    There are many posts on here about a first gun choice. Have look back through the archives/older posts.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    [url]www.Shootinguk.co.uk[/url] Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire. (Richard Faulds's)
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C.

Many thanks guys, I will certainly take on board what you have said and will look back at earlier posts. The main reason for considering a Bettinsoli was because I would prefer to buy new with a long warranty rather than buy secondhand, but your comments have certainly made me think. My son has a Miroku 3800, which he would like me to take off his hands, will have to pay him of course! I've used it and it fitted me better than his friend's Beretta which left me with a nice bruise on my cheek. I'm certainly not rushing to buy until I'm happy with the "fit". With a used gun, at least I can try it out first before I buy. Will keep in touch and if needed, I will be asking more questions if there are no answers on any older posts.
    Thanks again,
    Ian.