Rifled 12 bore barrel maker?

Hello there, i am trying to fing someone to make a rifled 12 bore barrel to a specific bore size, twist and chamber dim's... but not having much luck, i've been told to try Authur Smith of colchester at Arms restoration services but nobody answers the phone. Does anyone know if he is still in business? Or could anyone suggest someone else that can provide one? I have e-mailed Bulldog barrels in America but had no response.

Top Gun
    For what gun do you need/want a barrel? If a semiauto or pump most of the major manufacturers offer slug (rifled) barrels as either an option or as a second barrel. Rifled barrels for other types of shotguns whether single or double are, to the best of my knowledge, simply not available for any shotgun except possibly a H&H Paradox and those only from that maker.
    Not matter what shotgun you want to put a rifled barrel on f you really need a barrel made to your exact specifications I hope you have a very large bank account because you'll need it. Best of luck to you.

Regards,
    Bob Hunt

Thanks for your answer Bob the rifle would just be a single shot, single barreled weapon. A semi auto or pump with a rifled barrel would be very difficult for me to get a license for, as it would be a section 5 weapon. I know it won't be cheap but it's to test fire a sabot i have applied for a patent for, so will have to be made to suit specific dimensions but won't have to be pretty!

Top Gun
    Arthur Smith is a great guy but he never answer the phone .As to making to a specific size and twist may be a problem. Are they very different to "standard " .I can get certain rifled barrels that can be sleeved into an existing gun but agian if you want specific sizes their will be a problem. .I would suggest you contact the proof houses ,they may be able to tell you if any one in the UK is submitting any ,so that may be a start point .You probobly need to be contacting the likes of Lowther Walther in Germany or some of the Italian barrel makers . Had you asked this last month I would have said you need to go to the IWA .Contact the GTA they may be able to give you cantact detais of the equivolent in Germany ,Italy etc .Its a starting point .
    Gunmaker by trade.
    Gunsmith by choice.

you could try "Krieghoff" they german that make good shotgun and rifle, but to the point they make combi guns!! they may help you out!

I did hear its possible to have heavly rifled detachable chokes? but a full rifled barrel is best but comes under section 1, but as you pointed out rifled semi/pumps are section 5, as it be classed as a rifled semi-auto larger than .22 rimfire!

or you could apply for a rifle? if you wish to use it for "pratical shotgun shooting" you could apply for a section 1 shotgun with a large mag & have soild slugs ammo too?
    If you can't buy one, nor import one, then your only option is to manufacturer one! :) BULLSEYE

Paragliding training soon! :D :) lets hope the weather holds!

:)
    ())
    (**)
    (")(")

Thanks for the replies, i was thinking of starting with a 1 in 12 twist. I know Authur has a made one at this twist for someone i know for a similar project, that was why i had tried to contact him. I will try the proof houses and walther. Might try krieghoff aswell it carn't hurt. Thanks

if you know someone that has a rifled 12bore, you could use their barrel as a guide?

in effect your are "bench rifling" use a rifled 12bore to guide the one rifle hook on a rod, and in the smoothbore barrel in front will have rifle cutter and this will start to cut and once you have all the lands done you can lap the barrel and run cleaning patches with paraffin to clean the oils & cutting out!

but again you need an smaller bore so the slug will follow the rifling!

if you can find an experience gunsmith that been bench rifling for years, then they maybe your guy

but if you planning to get a smaller bore, if it has to be made, then they may rifle it personally for you for a fee & send it off to the proof house for you!

but having custom made anything has a price tag? it wouldn't surprise me if the barrel cost more then the shotgun is worth!

It maybe cheaper to have a "brand new" large bore rifle! since rifle shotgun barrel & soild slug carts have to be on a FAC section 1!
    If you can't buy one, nor import one, then your only option is to manufacturer one! :) BULLSEYE

Paragliding training soon! :D :) lets hope the weather holds!

:)
    ())
    (**)
    (")(")

Top Gun
    If it is simply to testfire your sabot's design, could you not buy a rifled barrel, adapt the sabot's dimensions as needed to it's dimensions, and have an experienced gunsmith/machinist build you a breechblock mechanism? Maybe others more familiar with UK laws could give you informed opinions on the legalities involved.

Regards,
    Bob Hunt
    Last edited by bob_hunt; 11-Apr-2012 at 02:37 AM.

As i would be test firing it to find the correct dimensions using a different size barrel would not get me any further ahead, or using a barrel that has been over bored in part of it's length. I have e-mailed a company called ER Shaw in America that rifle 12 bore barrels just waiting on a response, if no response will try faxing A Smith as i'm told he is still in business and it's a better way of getting an answer from him. Just in case anyone else looks at the thread and is after a similar barrel.

Top Gun
    There are some problems with exporting rifled arms amd barrles From the US . A lot of companies will no longer do so as special licences have to be obtained . Thats not counting the paper work at this end .
    Gunmaker by trade.
    Gunsmith by choice.