Licence not renewed - advice please

Hi everyone, I am so pleased that I stumbled across this forum, it has been very interesting to read some of the posts

This is a very long story so I apologise and hope that you can advise me

I have held a shotgun licence since I was 18 (Now 40) never had any trouble always behaved myself never had a problem renewing it until the latter end of last year. I foolishly got involved with a woman that has and still is making my life hell.

I left her in September in a bit of a rush after she assaulted me, reported it to the police and my local firearms officer that night, to find my guns were being removed from the said property that morning, no receipt given and I was not there. The woman had FOUND my keys and reported me, the only way she could have found my key was to watch where I had put them and got a chair out to stand on to get hold of them. She told the police I was a danger to the public.

There was a full investigation into it, the Dr informed them that I had been described depression tablets (I hadnt took any) and basically I am not allowed to renew my licence, not because of the allegations but because of the situation!!!!

She since has been investigated for the 2 assaults on myself and the harrassement and stalking of myself and my family, yes thankfully, my wife took me back!!

Whilst this was going on I was talking to BACS and they just said be patient and didn't really seem to what to get involved.

I have been doing some reading, and there has been some coversations about Drs being asked for medical evidence and really I wondered what you would do in this situation, I haven't done anything wrong, apart from be an idiot getting involved, and feel that I should get my licence back, if so how would you go about it

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Hi everyone, I am so pleased that I stumbled across this forum, it has been very interesting to read some of the posts

This is a very long story so I apologise and hope that you can advise me

I have held a shotgun licence since I was 18 (Now 40) never had any trouble always behaved myself never had a problem renewing it until the latter end of last year. I foolishly got involved with a woman that has and still is making my life hell.

I left her in September in a bit of a rush after she assaulted me, reported it to the police and my local firearms officer that night, to find my guns were being removed from the said property that morning, no receipt given and I was not there. The woman had FOUND my keys and reported me, the only way she could have found my key was to watch where I had put them and got a chair out to stand on to get hold of them. She told the police I was a danger to the public.

There was a full investigation into it, the Dr informed them that I had been described depression tablets (I hadnt took any) and basically I am not allowed to renew my licence, not because of the allegations but because of the situation!!!!

She since has been investigated for the 2 assaults on myself and the harrassement and stalking of myself and my family, yes thankfully, my wife took me back!!

Whilst this was going on I was talking to BACS and they just said be patient and didn't really seem to what to get involved.

I have been doing some reading, and there has been some coversations about Drs being asked for medical evidence and really I wondered what you would do in this situation, I haven't done anything wrong, apart from be an idiot getting involved, and feel that I should get my licence back, if so how would you go about it
    There are a couple of things that need clarifying before anyone can even start to assess the situation, really.

1. Was your licence actually revoked or did it expire during this problem?
    2. If the latter, did you declare that you'd seeb you gp regarding depression on the renewal form?

From what you've posted, there are a couple of issues that go against you, trying to look at this objectively. First off, the fact that an unlicensed third party gained access to your keys is a breach of the conditions of your licence, and the authorities will be pretty absolute on this: they weren't adequately secured.

Secondly, you've been treated for depression. This is not unusual. However, if you've renewed since this treatment began and not declared it, the authorities are again not going to be happy. Telling them that you've also ignored your gps advice is also unlikely to help your case.

Essentially, BASC have probably given you good advice: as you say, its not the allegations that have caused this, but information that xame out during the investigation. Based on your post, you need to be able to convibce the licensing dept. That you are a "fit and proper" person in order to get your tickets back.
    Secondly,
    Last edited by Asher; 14-Apr-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    I would say if you a paid member you should be supported by the BASC, I known another shooting org the CPSA come down like a tonne of bricks & the firearms manager grant the certificate in the end!

Its a hard case when something like this happends, I remember one person was refused because of his school report & a voluntarity interview into "Allegation of harassment" but no further action was ever taken into the matter! even if it was over 3 years ago!

I would try another org, or appeal which is very pricy if you lose!! but if you "subject access request" you can have access to the Equiry Officers reports into the matter the deadline is 40 days I think!

But if you could prove the keys were store reasonably then it should be fine!

But yes, talking to you GP about depression, yes having meds have side effects but not taking them can easily look bad on you, but if the treament start in the middle of your certificate I don't the problem, but if you had to renew you certificate and didn't declare your depression ect then they refuse or inquire why you didn't include depression on the form.

but again, what about the lady that "found you keys" is she of good charater, the might of check her out too....
    If you can't buy one, nor import one, then your only option is to manufacturer one! :) BULLSEYE

Paragliding training soon! :D :) lets hope the weather holds!

:)
    ())
    (**)
    (")(")

Young Shot
    You have certainly been through a torrid time.

Itís unfortunate that this lady found your keys, in some areas this alone could give the licensing team grounds to revoke as a breach of your conditions.

Any accusation against a certificate holder will be investigated, and itís not uncommon in such a case for the shotguns / firearms to be removed while the investigation goes on.

It seems from what you say that you have not been revoked but your renewal has been refused at this time.

You said that the police told you its because our your current situation, and that why I suggest, the guidance the BASC firearms officer gave was to wait until the situation improves / changes and then you should be in a position to get your licence renewed.

So if your situation has changed you can get in touch with your licensing team and ask for your renewal to be processed. Doubtless they will need to come and check your new security arrangements and would probably want some reassurance that the keys will be better hidden in the future.

If they still refuse to renew then make sure you get it in writing as to why.

I assume you are a BASC member from what you have said and so you will have the name of the BASC firearms officer who is in charge of your case. Please keen them up to speed with any correspondence from the licensing team, so they can give guidance on what you / we need to do next.

Thanks

David