Thread: Ian Coley

Beginner

Ian Coley

nice to see Rob Eaton at the ground yesterday.
    Phil Coley - Sports Psychology expert for Shooting
    Work directly with me or join one of our Masterclasses
    [url]www.clayshootingsuccess.co.uk[/url]

Dam it........ you beat me to it Phil
    I've been so busy since I got back I've not even had time to mention it yet.

I spent all day Friday at Ian Coleys shooting ground in Gloucestershire with an old friend of mine and can in all honesty say this shooting ground in its entirety is almost perfect in every way. The couple of minor things that were wrong in my eyes are so trivial I'm not even going to mention them ever again.
    Guys, this ground and its staff are about as good as it gets in my eyes.......oh dam, forgot to mention it needs an out door jacuzzi, there's always something when you've left isn't there ? The clubhouse and combined shop is both impressive and spacious. Outside is a large beautiful patio area with large well maintained lawns and walkways, so wellingtons are not needed at all. Ample car parking space if you can manage to get through the lovely big iron gates, thought I was at Buck house for moment there.
    There are a few stands that are out in the open and very well kept I assure you and targets to match..... beautiful stuff.
    If the ground had to have something that stood out it in my mind, it would be the tunnel you walk down through in front of the clubhouse/shop. It's made of a thick green resin mesh and the idea being to stop the bits of clay falling on passing shooters heads while other shooters are shooting the flush etc. Excellent idea and really works well. It feels a little like being in Seaworld and your about to get a 15ft shark swim right over the top of you.
    The majority of the sporting layout is in a beautiful little forest that has undulating tracks through it to each stand. Nothing steep or tiring so Disabled shooters will find very few problems even in the forest sections.
    The quality of the targets themselves are A1 and very well thought out. There is nothing that is ludicrous or way out of range for the average shooter. There are a few well angled loopers that can catch you out though and indeed did. Half choke will murder even the farthest of the targets at the ground.
    Another thing these guys are good at is gun fitting. They have a full gun fitting service and really know what they are doing.
    The ground is not large but it's not small either, I would have to say its actually about right.
    Clays are 33p each and my instinct was to say "ouch" but after having a blooming good look round and having a shoot.......well.....it was worth every last penny I must say.
    So...if your looking for some where different to go or your even passing close to the ground, get in and have a look round, your going to love it, I promise.
    It's now Saturday and I've already sent two customers up to them and will continue to do so for a long time I hope.
    Last edited by ROBERT6500; 14-Apr-2012 at 08:10 PM.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Shootinguk.co.uk Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire.
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Coaches for Abbey Burton.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.

Beginner
    Thanks Rob for this review, will get working on the jacuzzi. We look to cater for everyone and certainly will keep adding to the ground. Looking forward to seeing you up with us again.
    Phil Coley - Sports Psychology expert for Shooting
    Work directly with me or join one of our Masterclasses
    [url]www.clayshootingsuccess.co.uk[/url]

I'll be there Phil...as soon as I've saved up for a couple of gallons of petrol that is.
    Hmmm....may be some time.
    Coach at Podimore.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.

Directions Rob?
    NOBs
    BASC
    Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon

Just google Ian Coley mate.
    It's all there.

http://www.iancoley.co.uk/findus.html
    Last edited by ROBERT6500; 17-Apr-2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Coach at Podimore.
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.

Cheers Rob, I will try and get up there in the next couple of weeks for some practice!
    NOBs
    BASC
    Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon

Young Shot
    I go fairly regularly to Coleys and agree that it is a very nice place to shoot and the staff are friendly, but 33 for 100 sporting!! It doesn't really bode well for new shooters does it? Clearly there has been some massive investment at the ground over the last year which is great to see, but can ordinary folks afford to be getting involved in shooting at that price? Chuck in another 20 ish for cartridges and we are up to over 50 for an hour or so. Not to put too fine a point on it, I can afford the prices at Coleys and the increasing cost of cartridges doesn't hurt me, but my sons can't, several of my mates can't and so I shoot there less and less.
    I don't want to be seen as knocking the ground, because it is a great facility, but how can we get growth in the activity we love at 0.33/clay?

Young Shot
    Hear Hear!
    The most expensive round here is Southern Counties @ 0.28 per clay most are just below that.
    Some of the Strawbale shoots work out a bit expensive sometimes.
    0.33 would stop me / us going! unless it was somewhere like Bisley.
    Chris