Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping

Veteran

Shopping

Nephew took me shopping yesterday(he has to as he isn't old enough to buy his own shotguns yet,although he is old enough to buy a car which is capable of doing 2oomph!)Fortunately,his car wont do 200mph(though credit where it's due;he did try)so we ended up at Lakeland Guns with all our bits where they should be.
    His mate was returning a brand new Webley & Scott which had developed a double discharge after a couple of boxes of cartridges,(Webley QC take note)and nephew was buying a brand new Silver Pigeon 5 that Ian(the owner)had put to one side for him.He did this without deposit,and has done it for me also(without asking)even though he must lose out occassionally.
    Anyhow,dropped off guns at his shop then went for a full English across the road at the Carnegie Theatre(recommended)then back into shop.
    Busy as usual.Ian has now installed a FREE coffee machine in the shop,as he used to spend a lot of his time making brews for customers.
    This really is a very well stocked shop,with a wide choice of rifles and shotguns to suit all preferences.
    Nephew received a very good deal on the Benelli he was trading in(it hasn't done a lot to be honest)and came away a happy teenager.He already has a SP3(with gorgeous wood)but wanted the 5 as they've stopped making them now,and he's a keen fan of case hardening.A really nice gun but Berettas aren't my cup of tea really,although I very nearly bought a very nice 682 E some time ago,and I think the DT10 boxlock is one of the nicest looking shotguns on the market.
    Anyhow,he's happy....he'll be even happier when(if)I get round to gifting it to him!A good larl day;enjoyed it.Browsing gunshops is never time wasted!
    Ugliest thing in the shop was a .357 Taurus with a helluva long barrel and forearm brace!Chop it down to 4" and I would have had it though!

Top Gun
    Sounds like a very good day and a very lucky teenager to be able to afford such nice guns. He should buy them *now* when he doesn't have to justify the expense to a spouse.
    I've been looking at .22 revolvers lately, a "JB" (Just Because) item, and unless their centerfire revolvers have MUCH better triggers you couldn't give me a Taurus revolver. I've tried a half dozen different ones and every single one had a double action trigger that felt like it was at least a 30 pound gritty grinding pull and a similar single action pull of about 20 pounds. I was still considering one of their "Tracker" revolvers that comes with interchangeable cylinders in .22 LR and .22 WMR until every gunsmith I talked to flatly refused to do a trigger job on any Taurus. The concensus was that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. A shame really.
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

Veteran
    Couldn't agree more Bob;he is very fortunate,and realises how lucky he is in the present climate to have a steady job,doing something he likes.He puts in long hours and as you say 'doesn't have to justify the expense to a spouse' although his Mother raises the odd eyebrow.
    Had no idea Taurus revolvers had such a poor reputation.I have no experience of them at all;think they were just coming onto the scene as centre-fire pistols (as we know them) were banned in this country.
    I would love a .22 revolver also,and for the same reason as you.
    Smoothest trigger pull I ever experienced was an old Webley/Pryse .455(think it was a Pryse if memeory serves)it was possible to shoot it double-action even in the old 'bullseye' style competition(slow-fire single handed)without pulling the fore-sight off target!Wonderfully smooth.
    The owner had 8 .455 Webley revolver variants;gorgeous pieces of kit...all gone who knows where.Criminal,absolutely criminal.But at least we can all sleep safely in our beds at night,eh?

Oh those bl***y Webley and Scott's.
    Renowned for doing that and other things.
    People in the know won't touch them but the poor newbies will often get roped into buying one.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    [url]www.Shootinguk.co.uk[/url] Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire. (Richard Faulds's)
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C.

Veteran
    Yep....very annoying.I wont rubbish anyones gun as we all have our budgets,but his mate has one which so far has been trouble free.My nephew did try to persuade him towards something else but he wouldn't be swayed.

Top Gun
    Mothers seem to be much more forgiving of sons than wives are of husbands. Maybe that's because a mother knows her son will most likely eventually become another woman's headache?
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

Veteran
    Update.Nephews mate got his Webley back from the manufacturer last weekend,took it to the club,and guess what?Yep,double discharges still!
    Have recommended he returns it and asks for a full reimbursement(which he will have no problem getting)puts afew hundred extra quid toward it and gets a good second-hand Beretta or Browning.
    Only downside is that it means I'll have to go with them again.....damn!LOL!

Top Gun
    Personaly I am offended at the idea of puting the name Weblet ans Scott on imported Turkish guns . It is an insult to a once great maker . Even at their lowest point in the 60's there guns were far far superior to the things they now market . I had the good fortune to meet up with a number of past Webley gunmakers last week , I think we are all appaled at this travesty .
    Gunmaker by trade.
    Gunsmith by choice.

Young Shot
    perhaps they ought to rename them Donner and kebab,least we would know where they came from!!

Young Shot
    certainly not Turkish delight