Veteran

Wheels have come off .....again!

Tother evening went out with dog and gun for some ferret food.Took my Winchester 1500 XTR as it's choked full and I enjoy using it on those high birds as they return to roost after a hard day in the office.
    Startled a young Roe buck as we went through the wood,which took off when a rabbit bolted from my left and ran straight across my front about 15 yards away.Waited for it to pass a couple of trees then BOOM! it went somersaulting through the grass and twitched a couple of times before my dog gave it a squeeze(just to make sure).She stood over it as I gutted it and walloped down one of the kidneys I gave her without it touching the sides,then gave the rabbit a hard stare;she's not daft,she knows there's another in there and didn't move 'til I gave her that one also;another gulp and it's gone.My dog is a Border terrier and has a full and extensive range of facial expressions.This one said,'Cracking shot;let's do that again!'
    This time of year the early sown grass is about a foot high and any rabbits caught about 15 or 20 yds in the open tend to squat rather than bolt,which gives you plenty of time to shoot before they make it home in the hedge bottoms.This is what I was hoping for as we do a lot of bolting bunnie shooting(over ferrets)with great succes.and I love it!Anyhow,spotted a couple of ears which turned out to be last years oak leaves backlit by the setting sun,then spotted two more,which gently dipped from view...aha!Steadily walked towards them and at about 10 yds away off it went,quartering away from left to right with my dog in hot pursuit.BOOM!big spray of vapourised water from the wet grass a smidgeon behind the bunnie.BOOM!More spray but bunnie still running...BOOM!bang on the button,but from out of the spray ran the bunnie totally unharmed and disappeared in the hedge!Dog pulled up,rattled round a couple of holes then turned to me as much as to say,'How the hell did you miss that!?'Then turned away in disgust.
    Was still shaking my head as I reloaded then rose onto top of railway banking and hadn't gone 20 paces when down below me off took another,jinking along the fence line.BOOM!Cut some undergrowth down but rabbit unharmed..BOOM!another miss..BOOM!more dsbris and leaves blown around but rabbit unscathed.Dog appeared at top of banking and almost shouted,'Wot a w****r!Are you blind!?'
    Another reload.200 yds further along,just before I dropped down off the railway,put up another...BOOM!another miss!Didn't dare look at dog,but I knew what she was thinking!
    1 rabbit for 7 shots!I've had better days!....the ferrets were happy anyhow,but dog still isn't speaking to me.

We all have days like yours (most of mine are like you described)

Oh the joy of full choke!

Well at least you're keeping cartridge sales up in Cumbria.

Haha! yeah we've all had a day or two like that out with the dog.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Shootinguk.co.uk Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire.
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Coaches for Abbey Burton.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.

Young Shot
    I have had several Border terriers - The last one had a sixth sense - i only had to think 'gun cabinet' and she was up from the fire whinning and scratching at the door.
    I certainly know that 'look' if you miss - sort of enquiring and disapointed all at the same time!!
    Lovely dogs but they can't stand alsations!!
    John
    [url="http://www.swsg.co.uk"]www.swsg.co.uk[/url]

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfarmer View Post
    I have had several Border terriers - The last one had a sixth sense - i only had to think 'gun cabinet' and she was up from the fire whinning and scratching at the door.
    John
    Yep...dead right!
    She's speaking to me again now;went up to farm and got a Jackdaw as it left one of the barns;ditto for a pigeon.

ha, most of my days are like that, it just makes you wanna go out and have another go