Thread: Stuck Mod'

Veteran

Stuck Mod'

Landowner has been saying for a while now that he can't get his mod' off his Sako,and has tried soaking it in all manner of solutions to free it but no joy,so we took it into workshop on farm this morning.We didn't fancy putting it in the vice,so those two held it while I wrapped a towel round the mod' and tightened some stillies on it!They twisted in the opposite direction to me and eventually it came loose with just very slight teeth marks on the mod'.The mod' is an old T8 and has started developing 'pin holes' in it,so we weren't bothered too much about marking it anyway.Both the mod' and the barrel are steel,but the latter is stainless,and the threads were perfect still.However,the barrels crown is slightly corroded.
    I was always advised to remove the mod' from a rifle before putting it away after use,as the gases from fired ammo can eventually corrode the barrel.It looks as though this is what has happened;I didn't know he wasn't removing the mod' after use, and he may have to pay to have it re-crowned, depending on how it groups next time he's out with it.
    I doubt it will be expensive,but it's time off work to take it to the RFD,pay for the work,then more time off work to pick it up...a right pain.
    One more word of advice,DO NOT,under any circumstances,grab the first towel to hand.....this one turned out to be a newish kitchen towel...finger wagging doesn't come into it!

Top Gun
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    One more word of advice,DO NOT,under any circumstances,grab the first towel to hand.....this one turned out to be a newish kitchen towel...finger wagging doesn't come into it!
    Along these same lines- If, like me, you use a case tumbler to clean your rifle and pistol empties before reloading do not use the colander from the kitchen to strain the cases from the media. It makes a very fast and efficient case strainer but if you are caught you WILL end up buying a new colander no matter how well you wash the old one.
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Landowner has been saying for a while now that he can't get his mod' off his Sako,and has tried soaking it in all manner of solutions to free it but no joy,so we took it into workshop on farm this morning.We didn't fancy putting it in the vice,so those two held it while I wrapped a towel round the mod' and tightened some stillies on it!They twisted in the opposite direction to me and eventually it came loose with just very slight teeth marks on the mod'.The mod' is an old T8 and has started developing 'pin holes' in it,so we weren't bothered too much about marking it anyway.Both the mod' and the barrel are steel,but the latter is stainless,and the threads were perfect still.However,the barrels crown is slightly corroded.
    I was always advised to remove the mod' from a rifle before putting it away after use,as the gases from fired ammo can eventually corrode the barrel.It looks as though this is what has happened;I didn't know he wasn't removing the mod' after use, and he may have to pay to have it re-crowned, depending on how it groups next time he's out with it.
    I doubt it will be expensive,but it's time off work to take it to the RFD,pay for the work,then more time off work to pick it up...a right pain.
    Bearing in mind a new mod is easily 250, I've never understood why people don't just take them off. My T8 is in average condition, but it gets taken off and cleaned every time I use it. Mind you, because they're not modular this is even more important as once its gone you'd get better results out of an old plastic bottle.

The title caught my eye and I had visions of Rob with his head caught in between some iron railings.
    I was going to suggest butter on his ears.

The solution to the actual problem shows that plusgas etc won't work in some cases and that "brute force" will always triumph.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by coalman View Post
    The title caught my eye and I had visions of Rob with his head caught in between some iron railings.
    Brilliant!Nearly spilled me brew!

Haha!

Last edited by ROBERT6500; 26-Apr-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    [url]www.Shootinguk.co.uk[/url] Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire. (Richard Faulds's)
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C.