Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Air guns set to be banned in Scotland

Looks like air guns are to be banned in Scotland, details on link below.
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23865167/
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Record! As I understand it, the proposal is to bring air weapons into the licensing system in Scotland. If it happens, the honest folks among us will get licences, but there will remain thousands of unlicensed weapons about. Looks as if it will work in exactly the same was as the handgun ban has totally eliminated gun crime in the UK!
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

Veteran
    Just more politicians venting hot air in attempts to boost their ego's and careers.
    Does anybody know how many airguns are in circulation in Scotland?If nobody knows where they are,how can they be banned?
    As Mike says,plans to license airguns in Scotland have been in the pipe-line for some time,so all those law-abiding people will either apply for licenses or hand in their legally bought air-rifles....without compensation?All those who don't give a stuff about the law will carry on in much the same way as they do now.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken,it's already illegal to shoot at people with air-rifles,so I fail to see how proposed legislation will prevent ths happening again.
    Perhaps the comically named 'justice' minister would better serve his time by enquiring as to how a man jailed for the murder of a toddler can possibly be free to roam the streets in another six years.Justice?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    If it happens, the honest folks among us will get licences, but there will remain thousands of unlicensed weapons about.
    Have you always considered air rifles to be weapons ?
    Last edited by SaskMick; 20-May-2012 at 03:06 PM.

"Air weapons" seems to be the accepted term in the UK, although to me the term "weapon" seems to imply an item for offensive use. Personally, I don't class any of my guns as "weapons", but rather as items of sports equipment. Likewise, my knife is not a "weapon", but an everyday working tool.

Banned
    Accepted term or not we have to be care full what we say.

Weapon = Bad

Sport equipment and working tools = Good

I am sure we can all agree on that.

Going back to the original story in the Daily Record, a lot of excellent comments now at
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23865167/

Banned
    Their have been cases of robberies commited with air pistols as a young female clerk would not know one from a proper hand gun. They have been threatened and forced into handing over money so a ban may help to put a stop to it.

Young Shot
    Quote Originally Posted by tomconven View Post
    Their have been cases of robberies commited with air pistols as a young female clerk would not know one from a proper hand gun. They have been threatened and forced into handing over money so a ban may help to put a stop to it.
    I doubt it very much, the type of person who uses an air gun to threaten and rob someone is not likely to bide by any new airgun law. I think your being very naive there. They could also just drive to Carlisle, buy an air pistol or rifle, drive back across the border robbing the Old Blacksmiths shop at Grentna on the way. The entire thing is headline grabbing PR and a demonstration of toothless devolved government designed to make local politicians who really all should still be councillors talking about clearing litter and how much they spend on Christmas lights, think they are the real thing. Its nonsense.
    Tom
    Scotland