Beginner

Le Chameau Chasseur

After having a dire experience with Hunter orginals, (They split at the left toe within 6 months rendering them useless.) I decided to go all out and buy a pair of Le Chameau Chasseur's. At £295 they are very expensive but i would say they are worth every penny. They are second to none. The rubber is thick and looks hard wearing, ive had them for 7-8 months now and they survived last years season with no problems. The leather inside is soft and oh so very warm, sometimes even too warm with shooting socks on on the milder days. The sole has good grip and looks like it will last a lifetime. Le Chameau also offer a repair service should anything go wrong with them although i suspect this would be very expensive. The zip, although stiff at first has now loosend up and works great. 10/10 for these.

They'll do well to keep up with my Aigle neoprene lined wellies, which I paid £100 for 5 yrs ago. I beat and shoot 4 times a week in the season, and they're still like new

Beginner
    yes youve obviously found a good pair there, ill bear the name in mind incase the le chameaus go bust in the fourthcoming season

I to have a pair of Aigle Parcours ISO 's. £115. The best wellies I have ever had and I've had most of them.
    Went to a private shoot last week in a wood with a lot of steep wet slippery slopes. Just about everyone was slipping and sliding and many fell over in the mud.
    Me ? didn't budge a single bit. Don't know what they have done to them but......WOW!
    Two other guys I know quite well said they had the same boots and were loving theirs as well because they are so comfortable and just do not slip in the mud.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Veteran
    I had a pair of Le Chameau some years ago;the reason they don't slip is that the treads on the heel slant forwards towards the toe,whereas the sole treads slant backwards towards the heel.Good wellies.

Beginner
    haha Rob i can imagine you were feeling very smug haha

Beginner
    I can second the Aigles. Just bought a pair of Parcours ISO 2's. Damn they are comfortable!

Daz

I have raved about Le Chameau wellies for a decade now. Utterly fantastic boots. We have had several pairs as a family of smallholders. My wife’s pair lasted 9 years of DAILY use (almost all day) on a chicken farm. They were as comfy as slippers (she says) and never once leaked. Finally she stepped on a nail and we thought “well they served us well so lets not repair them lets just get a new pair”. So that’s what we did. In around 1.5 years of use (after leaving our farm) this pair of identical (model) boots have been used VERY lightly, basically just walking dogs in the fields next to our house. They have SPLIT right around the ankle, leaking badly even in wet grass. I contacted Le Chameau, expecting a company charging such big prices to be better than Dunlop or Amazon, I discovered quite the opposite. Not only did they refuse to show any interest, they tried the most devious tactic by quoting their “technical team” (ooh, beware, the scientific preaches are involved, yeah right!) and saying that from the PHOTO I sent them, they could tell the boots have not been “used correctly”. There is NO way they can know this from a photo, and it is not true in the slightest. They also said we should have been spraying with silicon otherwise the rubber will crack. Why didn’t the last pair crack then? (They have not asked IF we sprayed them with silicon) They also said they should be kept in a “bag” (what, is that better than our wooden boot shed which is nice and dark and cool, consistent temperature and no UV rays?!) AND should be “cleaned after use”. So brushing rubber “clean” EVERY DAY rather than just letting the slightest trace of dirty water or grass sit on the rubber overnight, that is supposed to help make them live longer?! Ha, what a farce. That would ABRADE the surface far more and cause a LOT more wear over time!

Funnily enough I contacted a friend of mine who was also a big fan of Le Chameau boots for 15 years or so now. To my (lack of) surprise, he said “Rubbish, never buying again. First pair were brilliant, I wore them out! Second pair cracked in a year, total junk, better off with £10 wellies which last longer”.

Clearly their rubber quality or manufacturing standards (or both) have taken a huge nosedive, taking what was once a fantastic company into a typical modern company who charge insane prices based on a past history of good quality, note “PAST” history, which no longer applies. These boots, compared to the many pairs we have experience of, are worth around £20 in my opinion. My £20 Dunlops lasted 2-3 years before failing, my Hunters lasted around 4-6 years, various others lasted 1-2 years but only cost £10-20.

So for anyone reading this thread, reading all the honest reviews from back when Le Chameau actually cared about making quality products, BE WARNED! Oh, and I notice the boots my wife bought have gone up about £80 since she bought her first pair! What a joke. Go for Aigles or Muckboots, that’s my vote anyway, but I wouldn’t spend more than £25 on a pair or Le Chameau’s and I would buy two, because very soon you will need the second pair when the first pair break up due to contact with the air!

Le Chameau is not what it was, such a shame, but hopefully this will save someone blowing £200+ on a pair of wellies which can’t even compete with £25 wellies.

I'd endorse Le Chameau. They invited me to the factory in france in the early 1990s and, would you believe, it's hidden in the grounds of a most elegant chateau? They're made out of raw rubber by real craftsmen. There's no plastic in them. On the same trip I managed a visit to the nearby Normandy invasion beaches. Quite spooky to see French kids splashing in the water and building sandcastles where, in my lifetime, so many brave men fought and died...
    Technical Editor, Sporting Gun

+1 for Aigle Parcours ISO 2

Had them several years now and still as good as new. Extremely warm and comfortable with the neoprene lining. As well as shooting boots they are used as general work boots outside in the winter so put up with a lot!