Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginner

Ear muffs with glasses

Hi all , just starting out and wanted a bit of input with this , I cannot really stretch to molded plugs yet so am going down the earmuff route , how do you guys/gals who use muffs together with glasses get on with the fit , do you find the arms of the glasses hold the cups away from your ears slightly therefore letting the noise in so to speak , is this something you just have to put up with , do you all wear glasses ? Does anyone use the deben slimline (non electronic) , all help much appreciated .

Hi ,

Yes I wear electronic ear defenders and glasses, both normal and shooting glasses. I have never had a problem with the ear defenders sealing around the foam pads but all of my previous glasses have been thin or wire frame type and nothing with a large frame arms which might cause a problem.
    If you end up shooting in CPSA registered competitions then wearing glasses is mandatory.
    Andy

Must get out more and shoot.

Another problem with wearing both can be pain where the glasses are being held tightly by the muffs into the head behind the ear. This drives me nuts. You can always wear the little disposable sponge plugs each time. Or go down the Napier Pro 9s or 10s road, they are ok.
    Save some money asap and get some moulded plugs, you won't regret it I assure you.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    [url]www.Shootinguk.co.uk[/url] Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire. (Richard Faulds's)
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C.

I've used some pretty chunky Peltor defenders - non-electronic - since I started shooting about 3 years ago and I've never had a problem with them. I wear prescription glasses which aren't particularly "chunky" and or "petite" and they seem to work fine. I've never worn ordinary shooting glasses - two pairs at once isn't comfortable, or particularly safe in my book, since I find it so distracting.
    I guess that sometimes, you have to adjust the position of glasses on your nose to make them comfortable and give the best focus, but in my case, the ear defenders tend to stop them slipping inthe first place, rather than moving them out of alignment, so they may effect an improvement there.
    Other than that, I can't think of anything else to say, but if you're asking whether it's going to be a problem, I wouldn't expect it to be. In the end though, try to be as comfortable as you can - it all helps you focus on the shooting and not on other things.
    The Adventures of Adam & Mabel: Hunting for ActualBambi™

Beginner
    Thanks guys , I have noticed some of you have been saying you can get the molded ones at some of the summer game fairs at a good price , I might look into that , are they really that good , ie as good as fully covering muffs , I'm a bit paranoid with me 'ol lugholes .

The moulded ones will cost about £50 ( go to the fairs and haggle) best money I spent on ear defence and they really work well.
    Steve.

Just because you fill a few hoppers with wheat, it don't make you a keeper!

I wear glasses that I'd consider to be of 'ordinary' size, and always wear non electronic earmuffs.
    The two don't tend to cause any problems, the muffs do grip the glasses slightly (can't be felt) which stops them slipping, this can be a good thing, it can also be slightly annoying at times - though not exactly difficult to rectify.

The only problem that you can encounter with ear defenders can be the gun stock catching them, this is very annoying and is the reason some folk use plugs. I don't normally have an issue with this, I can get the muffs in the right place where they aren't in the way.

The only reason I wear ear muffs is that every type of in ear type I have tried my ears react to them. I use the peltor electronic ones, they can get in the way as every now and I get defender knock from the stock hitting the muff, which can be a bit off putting.
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Not only off putting but it makes you mount the gun completely wrong as I've said so many times.
    People often don't believe me when I say this but once they have had a lesson with me they soon change their minds. People that wear muffs generally mount into the shoulder and not the cheek first.......WRONG!
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    [url]www.Shootinguk.co.uk[/url] Resident Coach.
    Head Coach at Wylye Valley, Wiltshire.
    Coaches at Owls Lodge, Hampshire. (Richard Faulds's)
    Coach at Braces of Bristol.
    Coach at Brookbank, Cheddar.
    Coach at Podimore.
    Coaches at Ian Coley, Gloucestershire.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C.

I wear Napier pro 10 ear defenders with my glasses. Because they are a low profile type of defender they dont tend to get in the way when mounting your gun, and as a plus they dont seem to grip my glasses either.

Richard
    Contrary to popular belief, I do know what i'm doing.......I think ??