Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll on

Young Shot

Roll on

Roll on September! I've made my plans for the first and relishing the thought of being out there as dawn starts to break on the first day; an absolutely magic moment to share with all of you who will be out. Let's hope it's not honking down.

Well I won't be out on the 1st, but I'm really looking forward to taking some trips out to the shore and hopefully bagging myself a duck or two this year. Fingers crossed for a more successful season that the zero birds I achieved wildfowling last year!
    Adam.
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Young Shot
    Well, the season seems to have flown by and here we are, looking at the last day on Thursday. It's always a poignant day for me with the memories of the recent season and seasons past. Like the 1st September, it's one of those days that I look back in my diaries at to see which marsh I was on and whether it was a morning, tide, evening or moon flight or, if lucky, all four flights to end the season with.

I'll be out this Thursday to salute the grey battalions of pinks for the last time this season. A bit less rain and a bit more wind would be useful but there we are, that's fowling for you. You can't book the weather any more than you can book the fowl.

Good luck, straight powder and stay safe to any of you, wherever you are, who will be sharing the day with me. Oh, and by the way, ROLL ON SEPTEMBER!

Young Shot
    Not wanting to wish life away but it's only 14 weeks today to the 1st September. How time flies!

Young Shot
    Less than three weeks to go now and I'm raring to go. Has anyone else made their plans for the first yet? Fingers crossed for a dry start.

Unfortunately this year I've nowhere to go. A very generous former member took me out a few times over the last two seasons, but I won't be getting down to Gloucestershire any time soon and I think I should respect his generosity by not abusing it. Still, if anyone's offering, I'd be very happy to try and shoot my first "Christmas goose"!
    Freedom is having the right to offend and be offended; politeness is temporarily eschewing that right in respect of others; maturity is understanding the compromise and applying it.

Definitely gotta get out there a bit more this season but its difficult around here as I have to travel so far to get a bit of goose shooting.
    The Original Shootinguk Moderator.
    Resident Coach on Shootinguk.
    Association of Professional Shooting Instructors. (A.P.S.I.)
    C.P.S.A Safety Officer.
    B.A.S.C

Top Gun
    I've about given up on geese. Where I live we have so many resident Canada geese there are companies that do nothing but "pest geese control". I can walk 100 yards out my back door and see (but not shoot) geese year round. Familiarity really does breed contempt in some things.
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

Young Shot
    I know what you mean Bob as regards canadas but it's a different matter with pinkfeet geese on a wild dawn on a wild marsh. It's more a case of familiarity breeds respect.

Top Gun
    We have so many "nuisance" resident birds here that we have a special season a full month before we get any migrating wild birds. I could be mistaken but it seems every year more and more of the migrant birds decide to winter over here. If my impression is correct I wouldn't be surprised if in 50 years young hunters hear stories about the fall flight and ask, "Fall flight? What do you mean?"
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt