Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Roll on

Young Shot
    Well, the time goes faster and faster! I've just been preparing some defrosted wigeon from last season. I looked out of the kitchen window at the waxing moon and it struck me that the next full moon but one will hopefully see me by the night tide trying for a pinkfoot or two. Bring it on!

Young Shot
    Well, it seems like a lot of views of this thread but not many comments. I'm guilty of not posting much and as my profile states 'No Recent Activity', I thought I'd better keep up.

Firstly, I hope the other fowlers on this forum have been doing a bit despite the summery weather we've been having for most of the season. I've had some good tides for duck and some very poor ones as well. It looks like wigeon and teal numbers are well up this season although not necessarily easy to get a shot at. Still, it's been great watching them at a distance.

The pinkfeet numbers on my patch are well up for this time year, being between 25k and 30k. Spectacular flights to watch, both morning and evening although the moon didn't produce any as it was so calm. There've been times when I wish I'd brought a camera as well as the gun and especially so when I had 30 whooper swans over me at about ten feet up a couple of evenings ago. An amazing experience and a graphic demonstration that there's more to wildfowling than pulling the trigger.

Beginner
    [URL=http://s449.photobucket.com/user/simcgunner/media/WP_20150102_0031_zps6182569f.jpg.html][/URL

I am relatively new to this forum but closer to the end of my wildfowling days. I have enjoyed duck hunting and goose hunting for many years but this last year I applied for and received permission to take 1 tundra Swan. I used a rarely seen Ithaca magnum 10 ga to shoot this Swan at about 40 yards. I loaded 1.5 oz of #3 tungsten matrix shot in the big 10bore. 1 shot and He folded up dead in the air. Can you folks on the other side of the Atlantic in the flyway of the big white birds? The whistling Swan is still off-limits and protected. But the tundra Swan is thriving and a small number of permits are granted each year for wildfowlers to get a chance for one

Do that in the UK or even harm one, and your in heaps of trouble, all swans belong to the Queen and are protected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/24623773

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wil...eswan/law.aspx
    Can't beat having a day out shooting clays.

Beginner
    Thank you for the information I did a little research and think this is what you call a Bericks swan . with only about 7000
    swans visiting England each year. Wikipedia calls them Vagrants as small groups appear as far as England,Bermuda , Cuba and Hawaii. I am fortunate to be in an area where many thousands of them come through and can support wildfowling in controlled numbers. The only reason we still have populations of wildfowl that can support hunting them
    here and many other areas of the planet is because of a group of sportsmen . Who began organizing habitat, and waterfowl conservation after the great decline in populations. Unfortunately human population growth and climate change may be the Death-Knell for future sportsman's aspirations. In spite of the great Refuges we have set up in the fly-ways.
    Last edited by simcgunner@earthlink.net; 11-Dec-2016 at 04:04 PM.

Young Shot
    The state of confusion, also known as Oklahoma, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by simcgunner@earthlink.net View Post
    [URL=http://s449.photobucket.com/user/simcgunner/media/WP_20150102_0031_zps6182569f.jpg.html][/URL

I am relatively new to this forum but closer to the end of my wildfowling days. I have enjoyed duck hunting and goose hunting for many years but this last year I applied for and received permission to take 1 tundra Swan. I used a rarely seen Ithaca magnum 10 ga to shoot this Swan at about 40 yards. I loaded 1.5 oz of #3 tungsten matrix shot in the big 10bore. 1 shot and He folded up dead in the air. Can you folks on the other side of the Atlantic in the flyway of the big white birds? The whistling Swan is still off-limits and protected. But the tundra Swan is thriving and a small number of permits are granted each year for wildfowlers to get a chance for one
    I live in the Central Flyway. Only swans we see here are ones that have been brought in for domestic purposes, looking pretty in ponds., and they have their wings clipped to keep them from flying away.

Young Shot
    To quote simcgunner: 'I am fortunate to be in an area where many thousands of them come through and can support wildfowling in controlled numbers. The only reason we still have populations of wildfowl that can support hunting them
    here and many other areas of the planet is because of a group of sportsmen . Who began organizing habitat, and waterfowl conservation after the great decline in populations.'

Your message is so true and we, as wildfowlers, shouldn't miss any opportunity to make this case to those who criticise us or would stop us without scientifically proven good reason.

Young Shot
    Good luck and straight powder to all the fowlers on here who will be out tomorrow for the last flights of this season.

Young Shot
    After missing two pinks behind in the fast wind yesterday morning I finished at evening flight with two pinks and two teal. It was a cracking end to a very good season. I hope the rest of you managed a couple of ducks or geese by the end of the day. Roll 0n 1st September!

Young Shot
    Despite one or two chilly weeks the mallard appear to be breeding well round my neck of the woods. As seems to be the norm these days, the drakes outnumber the ducks by about 5:1. Any of you seeing the same?